In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pecado masculinemortal/venial sin — pecado mortal/venial
- it's a sin to waste food — es un crimen / un pecado tirar la comida
- Isaiah assures us that God ‘blots out’ our transgressions and forgets our sin.
- It tells people to ‘hate the sin but love the sinner’, knowing full well that this flies in the face of human nature.
- The sages say that this sin, the rejection of the Land of Israel, was in some ways more grievous than the sin of worshipping the Golden Calf.
- He would not like to catch hold of and put to death some other innocent person to redeem this sinner from his sins.
- Likewise for some Christian thinkers today, greed can mask an even greater sin; the sin of idolatry.
- Why not go to Christ this very day, and cast your soul on him, with all its sins and all its unbelief, with all its doubts and all its fears?
- Cole fears that his supernatural abilities themselves are a sin, and Malcolm's sin is the classic sin of unbelief.
- The transcriptions themselves reveal people who claim Jesus as their Savior who redeems them from Satan and the sin of the world they know.
- This entails, I believe, the more radical conclusion that hell can no longer be conceived of as a punishment for human sins by God.
- People thought he was blasphemous because he forgave sins.
- We have repented for the unbelief and our sins are blotted out.
- The divine strategy for defeating sin, evil and death is fulfilled in suffering love.
- He promised a saviour who would carry the sin, selfishness, unbelief, disease, grief, sorrow and fear of death on Himself and Destroy that fear, for Good.
- For Luther, the rest of the commandments function both to show us God's will for our lives and actions and to show us that we are sinners whose sins violate God's call to love.
- The Israelites followed this pattern by presenting sin offerings to cover their sins by sacrificing an animal life for their disobedience to God.
- We now live in, and scientists study, a creation damaged by human sin and divine judgment.
- In this way they make Christ not only useless to us but also a judge and a tyrant who is angry because of our sins and who damns sinners.
- As expected, there is a transferral of hatred from the sin to the sinner.
- Part of the transgression of a sin is using something holy for an unholy purpose.
- Of all the sins of Jerusalem, these two were singled out by God as the most severe.
1pecarto sin against sth/sb — pecar contra algo/algn
- It is his ministry that redeems men and women who have sinned against God, and ‘buys them back’ from death and hell.
- Now when I sin I sin against the Lord and his blood.
- You see God gave us, He gave Adam dominion over the earth; and then when Adam sinned against Him, God removed some of His sustaining power.
- God deals with this problem in his justice by saying ‘For your sins against me the immortal, eternal God, you will suffer forever’ and hence the place we call Hell.
- Do we call down hell-fire on the man who has sinned against the Word?
- To sin against the Holy Spirit is to sin against hope.
- As we remember the sufferings of Jesus, we can also recall how we have sinned against God and each other.
- I will go at once to my father, and say to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against God and against you; I am no longer fit to be called your son; treat me as one of your hired servants.’
- I hereby forgive everyone who offended or angered me, or sinned against me.
- In it, they are shown as shirkers and complainers, often sinning against their own God and His law.
- By sinning against God the human race was tarnished and a barrier put between us and God.
- It seems theologically obvious to note that if all have sinned, then all have been sinned against.
- Likewise, Adam and Eve, having been made by God without sin, listened to the devil and chose to sin against God.
- More often than we perhaps realize, we sin against the Lord, and confess our sins, and He not only are forgives and restores us, but also gives no further discipline.
- When I confess my sins and ask God for favour he requires that my confession of sin include forgiveness of those who have sinned against me.
- He had hidden God's word in his heart that he might not sin against him.
- But Adam sinned against God and everything changed: ‘For the wages of sin is death’.
- For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
- The first claim in the present patent appears to sin against both these connected principles.
- To live in this world was to live in the expectation of sinning and being sinned against.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.