In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Audio Musicsingle masculinesencillo masculinedisco sencillo masculinea 7-inch/12-inch single — un single/maxi-single
- There may be thousands of vinyl singles and long-playing albums stacked on shelves in the radio's library - but the days of loading vinyl on to a turntable are long gone.
- I've already been rather self-indulgent and included not one but two of his singles in my earlier listing, but that's not going to put me off telling you more about this album.
- We don't write songs as singles, and both this album and the next one will just be a collection of songs.
- But then according to Alanis herself, this album wasn't merely about creating a singles collection, but rather an album of personal favourites and rarer material.
- I Wanna Hold Your Hand became their fastest selling single - one million copies were sold in the first three weeks.
- I'm coming round to the skittering drumming on that new single.
- Earlier this year they signed a deal with AmbientLive Records in the UK to release two singles and an album.
- However, last year he wrote a massive UK hit single, which went on to sell very well internationally.
- In the meantime, we must make do with his second indie single, the rather wonderful If You Want.
- But his family have paid for him to spend four days in a professional studio later this year and he intends to record a single.
- ‘In The Army Now’ leads to another world tour and more hit singles.
- When a single from that first record, Arab Boy, became a hit in Iceland, Björk was teased for being different.
- His band's debut single entered the charts this week and music experts are tipping it for the number one spot.
- In the record industry, you are only as good as your last hit single.
- It wasn't even an album, rather a compilation of singles put together by some Brits in the '70s.
- The greatest hits is still on sale and another box set - singles from 1980 to 1982 - is out at the end of the month.
- Chris tells me that he's been working hard on recording the single during recent weeks and is very happy with the end result.
- She has already notched up three top 10 singles and is currently recording her second album in London.
- The Doves it seems live are more of a singles rather than album band.
- Fame is winning a televised talent show with a song, and then releasing a couple of singles and an album or two.
2.1British (ticket)boleto de ida masculinebillete de ida masculine Spain
- I could have bought a single on the train.
2.2(room)habitación individual femininehabitación sencilla feminineindividual femininesencilla feminine
- It is sold in singles for $5.95, with complete instructions to make the style of tassel shown here.
- The end result is a photography of mythical proportions that is camouflaged in paint and operates in singles rather than multiples.
3masculine solterofeminine solterapersona sin pareja estable
- I mentally sorted the new arrivals into couples, singles, and potential ‘temporary singles.’
- Few and far between were the desperate, overeager chat-up lines of some relationship-hungry singles.
- I myself ran a popular singles group for a couple of years once so I recognize the behaviour of which he speaks.
- Tad has no girlfriend and not a prospect in sight - the most recent woman he dated dumped him because she felt he was too involved in the singles scene.
- Both developments were designed for singles or couples.
- He has publish Ebooks and articles on psychology, singles, relationships and Popular Culture.
- Bruce believes the business is successful because of the growing number of professional couples, families and young singles who do not have time for DIY.
- It is not filled with floating singles looking to be picked up, but rather one gets the impression that everybody knows everybody else there.
- Two-thirds of us brush before bed, while twice as many divorced people than singles consider clean teeth a key decider on whether someone is attractive or not.
- But she spends a lot of time e-mailing and texting to pair up Jewish singles like Devorah and Jake.
- The grandmother was definitely not looking for love in the aisles of Asda's West Swindon branch during the store's singles night.
- It was once known for being a popular haunt of singles but in recent times it has become a sought after resort for families.
- Many readers probably heard this speech from Mom or Dad before they took off for a singles condo with its own yoga room and EST support group.
- However, Scripture also affirms to singles, couples and the parents of future single adults that being single can be just as honourable, and frequently preferable.
- Finding a mate might be easier, but moving to a committed relationship is less likely, those roaming free in the singles world say.
- The UK's singles want relationships that don't involve their partners actually moving in, a new BBC survey has revealed.
- They believe that the advent of online match-making, lonely heart adverts and singles' events are little more than a cynical ploy by the dating industry to get people to spend cash.
- But this book may be especially valuable for singles - particularly self-loathing singles.
- All the profiles are from real singles seeking sincere relationships and will always remain that way.
- That explains why Dove, when interviewing marriageable singles, always tries to discover how far they are prepared to assume the traditional family roles.
(in baseball)sencillo masculine
- He gave up a pair of singles to Hank Blalock and Michael Young leading off the inning before he was relieved by Troy Percival.
- Granted, groundball pitchers tend to give up more hits than flyball pitchers, but the extra hits generally go for singles rather than homers.
- The Yanks elected to intentionally walk Hunter, and a Koskie single loaded the bases.
- The next batter hits a line-drive single to right past an outstretched second baseman.
- This is a game that you'll win by hitting lots of singles and doubles rather than home runs.
(in cricket)tanto masculinesee also singles
- Needing to win the second set to reach the final, the York pair were rocked as the Erewash pair notched three successive singles to lead 3-1.
- Laker and Bailey started towards the ball, hesitated, and the batsmen scrambled a single.
- The pair managed three singles before the last wicket fell to leave Morecambe beaten.
- He got there by guiding the 131st ball he faced, from Irfan Pathan, to square leg for a single.
- He provided his usual limpet-like support for Lara, working the singles, and being content to feed the strike, as they added 169 in just over 30 overs.
5US(dollar bill)billete de un dólar masculine
- Do you have any singles?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.