In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The portrait conveyed the casual and relaxing quality of the sitter's personality, which is important in this work.
- The paintings exhibit strong physical and emotional energy, derived from the direct encounter between artist and sitter in the studio.
- His style shows strong characterisation in his sitters and an exquisite delineation of costume and jewellery.
- Later in her career she also did numerous portrait busts of distinguished sitters.
- Both sitter and artist would also have in mind the person who commissioned the portrait and for whose eyes it was intended.
- Rembrandt's portraits of individual sitters are similarly energetic, emphasizing faces, hands, and dynamic silhouettes at the expense of costumes and settings.
- The scrutinizing artist and his exposed sitters are all committed to the inert artifact that will outlive them: a photograph.
- In the portraits, sitters appear shorn of pretense and disguise.
- A portrait is of course in the first instance a likeness of the sitter who commissions it.
- He always portrayed his sitter as a distinct individual rather than a representative of his or her particular group.
- It had long been accepted practice in portrait painting to depict sitters with prized possessions appropriate to their status and station in life.
- The identities of the sitters in the Phillips portraits have only recently been discovered.
- The sitter, presumably, was desirous of being portrayed and perhaps curious to see how she would be perceived by a celebrated professional.
2(hen)gallina clueca feminine
3baby sittermasculine canguro Spain
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.