In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(for meal etc)turno masculineI watched three movies at / in a single sitting — vi tres películas de una sentada / de un tirón informal
- The Ritz serves 300 covers a day at four sittings.
- There were two sittings for dinner in the restaurant and shortly after boarding you were allocated your sitting and your table number which you kept with you throughout the cruise.
- There were no sittings; passengers came to one of the ship's restaurants when they felt like it, and if a table was available, they took it.
- The part-time firefighters served more than 100 children with food, in two sittings.
- Corrianders Restaurant are able to cater for individual sittings or larger groups.
2(of committee, parliament)sesión femininean all-night sitting — una sesión que duró (or dura etc.) toda la noche
- He says he will introduce legislation during the winter sitting of Parliament.
- Williams said the meeting had to be called before the next sitting of the executive committee on Tuesday.
- He will be the key player in the meetings of the Conference of the Presidents, which meets monthly to set out the agenda for the sittings of the European Parliament.
- At the regular sitting of the parliamentary group on Tuesday, no final decision was taken about the fate of the disloyal MPs.
- A lot of advanced democracies still have all-night sittings, which I think are crazy.
- He became increasingly eccentric, bursting into song or verse during parliamentary sittings and falling asleep at public meetings.
- A special sitting of the German parliament at the beginning of October will debate the necessary resolution.
- Today was the fourth time a serving US President has addressed a joint sitting of Parliament.
- The measures will be put into place at the next sitting of Parliament, tentatively scheduled for March.
- Government officials said today's Parliament sitting may be very brief to accommodate the continuation of the crime talks.
- He did not have the full sitting of parliament as he told Australians he would, only his cabinet met.
- The past couple of weeks have seen the final fortnight of Parliament sittings for the year.
- Howard knew he would never get it passed in a full sitting of parliament.
- With the last sitting of state parliament upon us, it is time to write to state MPs to save the rail line.
- Chief Minister John Osborne announced double salaries in December at the last sitting of Parliament.
- A further rebuke took place during the first sitting of parliament.
- Who says pre-budget Parliamentary sittings have to be dull?
- The decision to delay the new parliament's first sitting will only add to cynicism in the electorate and will be no encouragement to take part in the election.
- I hope we will make early progress in the next sitting of Parliament.
- There are just two more weeks of parliamentary sittings before the winter break, and the beginning of the period in which the Prime Minister says he'll go to the polls.
3(for painter, photographer)sesión feminine
- The portrait was completed in the artist's studio in Suffolk after five sittings in January.
- Blanch was his stand-in model between sittings with his portrait subjects, including the queen.
- After the initial sittings for the portrait, the Marquise suddenly took ill and died, and Drouais was obliged to complete the portrait from memory.
- By December or January the sittings had got very short.
- How many sittings did Ian have for his portrait?
- At the end of the sitting, they can take photographs of the subject.
- I went for five sittings in total and on the first one she just tried to make me feel at home, making jokes all the time.
- During the first few sittings, the artist must concentrate on the face and any other physical qualities, such as hands, that need special attention.
- The sitting is over quickly - little more than five minutes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.