In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(for meal etc)turno masculineI watched three movies at / in a single sitting — vi tres películas de una sentada / de un tirón informal
- There were two sittings for dinner in the restaurant and shortly after boarding you were allocated your sitting and your table number which you kept with you throughout the cruise.
- The Ritz serves 300 covers a day at four sittings.
- There were no sittings; passengers came to one of the ship's restaurants when they felt like it, and if a table was available, they took it.
- Corrianders Restaurant are able to cater for individual sittings or larger groups.
- The part-time firefighters served more than 100 children with food, in two sittings.
2(of committee, parliament)sesión femininean all-night sitting — una sesión que duró (or dura etc.) toda la noche
- The decision to delay the new parliament's first sitting will only add to cynicism in the electorate and will be no encouragement to take part in the election.
- With the last sitting of state parliament upon us, it is time to write to state MPs to save the rail line.
- Government officials said today's Parliament sitting may be very brief to accommodate the continuation of the crime talks.
- There are just two more weeks of parliamentary sittings before the winter break, and the beginning of the period in which the Prime Minister says he'll go to the polls.
- Today was the fourth time a serving US President has addressed a joint sitting of Parliament.
- The measures will be put into place at the next sitting of Parliament, tentatively scheduled for March.
- Chief Minister John Osborne announced double salaries in December at the last sitting of Parliament.
- At the regular sitting of the parliamentary group on Tuesday, no final decision was taken about the fate of the disloyal MPs.
- I hope we will make early progress in the next sitting of Parliament.
- He became increasingly eccentric, bursting into song or verse during parliamentary sittings and falling asleep at public meetings.
- He will be the key player in the meetings of the Conference of the Presidents, which meets monthly to set out the agenda for the sittings of the European Parliament.
- Who says pre-budget Parliamentary sittings have to be dull?
- Williams said the meeting had to be called before the next sitting of the executive committee on Tuesday.
- A further rebuke took place during the first sitting of parliament.
- A lot of advanced democracies still have all-night sittings, which I think are crazy.
- A special sitting of the German parliament at the beginning of October will debate the necessary resolution.
- He says he will introduce legislation during the winter sitting of Parliament.
- Howard knew he would never get it passed in a full sitting of parliament.
- The past couple of weeks have seen the final fortnight of Parliament sittings for the year.
- He did not have the full sitting of parliament as he told Australians he would, only his cabinet met.
3(for painter, photographer)sesión feminine
- I went for five sittings in total and on the first one she just tried to make me feel at home, making jokes all the time.
- How many sittings did Ian have for his portrait?
- During the first few sittings, the artist must concentrate on the face and any other physical qualities, such as hands, that need special attention.
- At the end of the sitting, they can take photographs of the subject.
- The sitting is over quickly - little more than five minutes.
- The portrait was completed in the artist's studio in Suffolk after five sittings in January.
- After the initial sittings for the portrait, the Marquise suddenly took ill and died, and Drouais was obliged to complete the portrait from memory.
- By December or January the sittings had got very short.
- Blanch was his stand-in model between sittings with his portrait subjects, including the queen.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.