In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(locate)situarubicar Latin Americaemplazar formalthe hotel is situated off the main square — el hotel está situado muy cerca de la Plaza Mayor
- the house is well situated — la casa está bien ubicada
- you're well situated to make a judgment — estás en (una) buena posición para juzgar
- how are you situated (for money)? — ¿cuál es tu situación (económica)?
- we're better situated than we were a year ago — estamos mejor situados / en mejor situación que hace un año
- This house is situated next to a renovated church on a quiet road close to the city centre.
- It is situated in an elevated position on this popular coastal road and enjoys superb views of Dublin Bay and Howth.
- The house is situated on an extensive site in a secure, quiet residential area.
- This period three-bedroom residence is situated close to the Grand Canal on a street of terraced homes.
- The site is situated close to the golf club.
- The property is situated close to a main road.
- A cafe is situated conveniently at the top of the hill and there is a pub within a few metres.
- The stations studio is situated on the dumpsite close to the homes of the participating children.
- The site was situated close to the Stanmore Town Centre and to public facilities.
- This fine property is situated on a 0.5 acre site of private mature gardens.
- The church is situated in an imposing position overlooking the village of Kildavin.
- No fishing license is needed, as the pond is entirely situated on private property.
- The new university campuses are all situated near military bases.
- These areas are situated at the base of mountain and have been cleared of all the vegetation.
- The school is situated in an enviable position next to the River Thames.
- A church is frequently situated within the old walls of a fort, built of Roman stone.
- Recently completely renovated, the house is situated on a half acre site with side entrance.
- Most of the craft shops are situated in a restored Edwardian stable block built around a courtyard.
- The development is situated close to a number of large business premises.
- The six-storey building is situated on an elevated site and will have retail units at ground level.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.