In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I try to see my biases for what they are and keep them in check, but nonetheless I confess that I have reservations about being within rifle shot of at least some of the people who might be walking about with six-shooters under their ponchos.
- Michael leapt out of bed and - grabbing his six-shooters, which he handled best - rushed outside to find four men on horseback, staring at him.
- He got a pair of six-shooters and practiced everything there was to know about handling a gun - twirling, spinning, shooting, and practicing his fast draw.
- The hard hat made to look like a Stetson, faded Levi's, steel-toed cowboy boots and the staple gun shaped like a six-shooter that is strapped to his side.
- The firepower of cannons and Gatling guns, stolen from the Army, made the extended outlaw families totally invincible to any sheriff's six-shooters.
- I've often observed the same ammunition fired in both pistols and revolvers, and I've seen equal or better accuracy from the six-shooter.
- You are a poncho-wearing Clint Eastwood clone who scurries about, taking cover behind a wagon or boulder, besting bad guys with your six-shooter or rifle.
- Holster your six-shooters and strap on your spurs for a Wild West action adventure.
- The outlaw army blasted their six-shooters at the fleeing family.
- She beat me at rifling, so I'm teaching her how to shoot the six-shooters.
- Obviously, the world of Robin Hood is populated with swords and arrows, and not with six-shooters and sniper rifles.
- For Western fans, almost any movie with horses, six-shooters and really big hats is worth the price of admission.
- So in 1863 Samuel Colt invented the six-shooter - and the rest, as they say, is history.
- Facing each other, they prepare to draw their six-shooters.
- He whacked Sarah on the head with the butt of his six-shooter and took off into the forest.
- Boots, horses, cows, range land, rifles and six-shooters… it's all in my blood.
- His trigger finger twitches next to his six-shooter.
- When I was seventeen, I worked in a London pub where all the locals would turn up on Friday nights wearing cowboy outfits, order Jack Daniels instead of their usual pint of bitter, and deposit replica six-shooters on the bar.
- What do you expect me to do, take on the whole German East Asia Brigade with my trusty six-shooter?
- They're common six-shooters anyway, not sure what's wrong with me.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.