In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK)institución que imparte cursos para los dos últimos años de la enseñanza secundaria
- The sixth-form college has 1,400 full-time students.
- Private schools dominate the top end of the A-level tables while further education and sixth-form colleges account for most of the worst performers.
- She met her husband at sixth-form college and married him in 1989.
- She went to sixth-form college to do A-levels, but left halfway through the course to train as a beauty therapist at a private college.
- Some sixth-form colleges gained good results as well.
- The film, which gives young travellers safety tips before jetting off for adventures, is being made available to sixth-form colleges across the country.
- My party leader has sent me to a local sixth-form college to apologise.
- At the age of 16, Pegg went to South Warwickshire sixth-form college, where he took English and theatre A-levels, on a grant raised by his mother from the local parish council.
- He was identified as a pupil studying for his A-levels at a sixth-form college.
- While she was at sixth-form college in Surrey, the head of the drama department staged a show and Blunt was spotted by an agent.
- Teachers at St David's sixth-form college in Cardiff, Wales struck on April 1 in a dispute over pay.
- Some of his friends had been absent from the sixth-form college he attended for over a week with this ailment.
- Research carried out by the educational charity, the Sutton Trust, shows that young people from state schools and sixth-form colleges are under-represented at the top 13 universities even though they would be eligible.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.