In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine tamañofeminine magnitudfeminine envergadurawhat size is it? — ¿qué tamaño tiene?
- it was the size of a walnut — era del tamaño de una nuez
- their house is half/twice the size of ours — su casa es la mitad/el doble de grande que la nuestra
- just look at the size of that dog! — ¡mira qué perro más enorme!
- The size of the house wasn't really big, but what made it look big was the garden beyond.
- The houses vary in size, with a choice of one to four bedrooms, sleeping up to eight.
- Even within the main cultivated species, yams vary to a remarkable extent in size, shape, and colour.
- Territories vary greatly in size, the largest one more than five times the size of the smallest one.
- The size of the pelvic area varies in cows and those with small pelvic areas are more prone to difficulty.
- Scans of patients' brains showed that the injured area almost doubled in size following treatment.
- If eventually, the hedgerow must be reduced in size, this may be done with a circular saw.
- While presidents often talk of reducing the size of their White House staff, none actually do.
- The size of the house excluding underground parking is about 4,100 square feet.
- They can range in size from the huge Wellingtonia tree to ground cover woodland plants.
- I looked over, and for the first time, I noticed that my belly had drastically reduced in size.
- The councils vary in size from seven to fifteen members depending on the size of the settlement they manage.
- We are retaining the play area although this will be slightly reduced in size.
- After 2012, the Olympic stadium would be reduced in size to become a new home for athletics.
- The collection ranges in size from the miniature to those over five feet in height.
- Three weeks ago he was taken off a ventilator and gradually his trachaetomy tube was reduced in size, until it could be removed completely.
- The sac is often covered by a thin layer of skin and can range in size from the dimensions of a grape to those of a grapefruit.
- All apartments will be for sale and will range in size from 750 to 1500 square feet.
- The judges were more interested in size than overall balance, proportion and symmetry.
- The craftspeople construct everything in small scale and the houses range in size up to palaces which can cost as much as a full-sized house.
2feminine tallamasculine talle River Platemasculine númerowhat size do you take? — ¿qué talle tiene / usa? River Plate
- I take (a) size 10 in shoes — gasto el número 10
- can I try the next size up? — ¿me puedo probar una talla más grande?
- A friend of mine bought a wedding dress two sizes too small because she was told that it was a good motivation to lose weight for her wedding.
- I admitted to myself it made me feel a little better knowing she'd be running around in an outfit two sizes too big for her.
- The pajama bottoms were honestly about 30 sizes too big.
- His daughter, Miranda, had managed to get a hold of a girl's uniform - albeit several sizes too big for her.
- I wore my black sweatpants and a two sizes too big red t-shirt and just sat back on our couch.
- He always wore baggy clothes that looked ten sizes too big for him, these thick rimmed glasses and stood about 5'7.
- He was wearing a pair of black jeans that were most likely two sizes too big and were hanging off of his hips.
- She's about four sizes too big for the dress she's tried on.
- It follows that, while big sizes can be hard to source, talls tend to be even harder.
- She was barefoot, and wearing only a flowered dress which was a size too big for her skinny frame.
- You can also look at your current shoes, but if you feel a bit discomfort, it's ok to get a bigger size.
- My mom is slender, I totally envy her body, but she has to have her pajama bottom's three sizes bigger.
- He is wearing many layers of clothes that looked two sizes too big for him.
- He was dressed in dark blue jeans that looked about 5 sizes too big and a zipper sweater.
- The plain green dress was a good few sizes too big for her and hung off her petite frame like a big shapeless sack.
- I put some old, baggy jeans a T-shirt two sizes too big for me.
- The dress was a couple of sizes too big and with the belt on, the neckline dipped dangerously low.
- Vantage offers Big and Tall sizes in seven basics and bestsellers, including a woven shirt, a windshirt, and a sweater.
- I would have given anything to make the perfect dress in a size 18 appear for her to stop the tears.
- I had ticked off ten shops already that we had been to and didn't even offer anything in my dress size.
1(classify according to size)ponerle la talla aponerle el talle a River Plate
- Yes, I've sort of sized this for a tall 3yo by adding an inch and a half to the length and an inch to the width.
1feminine colamasculine apresto
1(glaze, seal)(wall/paper) encolar(cloth) aprestar
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.