In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(sausages/fat) muy calienteI heard a sizzling noise — oí algo que chisporroteaba / crepitaba
- as adverb a sizzling hot day — un día de calor abrasador
- Sizzling on the table, a nabe can be the best feast you can have on a cold winter day.
- The chicken tikka, which came to the table on a sizzling platter, was a bit of a surprise.
- Habib and Kamel behind the grill already have an impressive array of sizzling delights to keep the conversation flowing.
- A terrestrial orchid of Tamil Nadu, the Golden Vanda, puts out flowers in the sizzling heat of April.
- Soon I would have a sizzling pork roast all to myself.
- Around Europe, about 40 deaths have been blamed on the sizzling temperatures.
- At many high-class networking events, you may find yourself surrounded by heaps of sandwiches, salad or sizzling snacks.
- In Texas, sizzling temperatures are taking a toll on a lot of people including the cops.
- A big rusty bolt (nut still attached) sizzling away on a big plate of fajitas.
- My meat arrives sizzling, napped in spices with a halo of crunchy greens around it.
- The small dining room became very warm as diners and dinners arrived - and filled with smoke as waiters brought sizzling trays to tables.
- She is slicing tomatoes, eggplants, putting them in sizzling oil.
- Plonked in front of me was a steaming, audibly sizzling pile of chunky meat, with no rice or vegetables in view.
- The burned black appearance of the ruins made them seem to be still sizzling.
- The onions are now sizzling in a pan with a little olive oil.
- Suddenly we were experiencing great big steaks that were literally sizzling in front of you.
- Stir them from time to time in the sizzling butter till they have turned a rich gold.
- Diners can enjoy watching the chefs preparing sizzling dishes in the open grill area.
- The "sizzling" part of the dish's name was certainly not wrong.
- The worst of the sausage sizzling may be over.
2informal(very good)(shot/performance) fabuloso
- The man who revolutionized the fashion industry one sizzling photograph at a time.
- Harwich Hospital Fete had all the symptoms of being a sizzling success.
- Grind is yet another sad demonstration of Hollywood's incompetence in generating sizzling summer fare.
- Along with their brilliant play on the defensive end of the court, they were sizzling hot, shooting the basketball throughout the game.
- Theresa Healey transformed herself from slightly frumpy mother-of-two to the evening's sizzling cha cha star.
- Newcomer Cole brings the drama with much conviction on her sizzling debut.
- This time, I've shamelessly chosen sizzling sex over sarcastic banter.
- A report from consumer analysts Mintel finds the sausage again becoming a national favourite, with sizzling sales in recent years.
- His sizzling new look with a new hair-do is one of the most talked things about the song.
- They built a double-digit lead in the first-quarter, sizzling to a 40-point first quarter.
- In the summer of 2000 he wowed 'em at the Hollywood Bowl closing his set with a sizzling duet with Bonnie Raitt.
- We bring you the inside story of this sizzling feud.
- Known for his sizzling runs down the left flank, Zafar did not mince words at all.
- The two companies have teamed up to offer moviegoers in Delhi a sizzling cinematic experience at affordable price.
- At a minimum, the Bush administration had better step up its promotion of the economy's current sizzling performance.
- It opens with three hard-hitting, outspoken songs that seamlessly combine a folk-rock sensibility with a sizzling hip-hop tempo.
- Then the action developed into a sizzling battle between two tough competitors.
- Hair loss can be instantly disguised with a sizzling new choppy cut.
- The intense heat is also matched with some sizzling colours.
- City's online message board is sizzling with complaints from the faithful.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.