In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1monopatín masculinepatineta feminine Latin America
- The pivotal moment came, we're told, when newfangled plastic wheels made skateboards infinitely faster and smoother than they'd ever been before.
- You might have noticed more and more people of all ages gliding down the streets on skateboards, sliding along walls and flicking and spinning their boards with various degrees of success.
- Last year the skateboard World Cup was held at the London Arena.
- As soon as I pushed off the ground on my skateboard I felt all the tension leave my body.
- Their songs don't revolve around high school crushes, they don't ride skateboards in their videos and they haven't rushed into playing the country's arena circuit.
- Essentially, this was to be a skatepark designed and built by people who do not ride skateboards.
- He suffered from asthma, but lived life to the full, playing the drums in a band and riding his skateboard.
- Marshall pushed his skateboard behind Jade and slid his arms around her petite waist.
- I grabbed my skateboard and boarded alongside Rachel on the way to her house.
- Carlo will only ride the skateboard in a seated position with his knees under his chin and only indoors.
- All we could hear around us was the sound of skateboards and feet hitting the ground somewhere in the distance, somewhere behind us.
- Standing about five feet away are two younger guys with skateboards, also waiting for the bus.
- At least I'm not riding around on a skateboard with my own name on the bottom of it.
- We were riding our skateboards to school, and I found Mary's necklace!
- He angled his skateboard to the ground and pushed off, skating towards the school.
- They showed up on foot, bike and skateboards, with signs, banners, puppets and costumes.
- And as always, his obsession with skateboards and skate parks were manifest in his attire.
- Ben planted his foot onto the skateboard and began to soar down the block.
- Tommy was putting on new wheels to his skateboard, and Jeff was smoking a cig.
- As a 13-year-old, when most kids are thinking about skateboards or surfboards, what made you want to ride bulls?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.