In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(ability)habilidad femininetechnical skill — destreza feminine
- her skill as a negotiator — su habilidad para negociar
- she showed little organizational skill — no demostró tener habilidad / aptitudes para organizar
- a high degree of skill is required for driving big trucks — se necesita mucha destreza para manejar camiones grandes
- game of skill — juego de ingenio
- skill in/at sth
- her skill at (doing) crosswords — su habilidad para hacer crucigramas / para los crucigramas
- the post requires skill in administration — el puesto requiere dotes / aptitudes administrativas
- Some children may require a great deal of support as they acquire the social skills necessary for maximum independence.
- No new negotiation, communication, or problem-solving skills are learned.
- Handicapped school children in south Florida learn problem-solving skills by playing chess.
- Students learn basic computer skills in computer classroom.
- A child swinging with abandon about a jungle gym is honing his gross motor skills.
- Many Fortune 500 companies believe that basic communications skills training pays back significant dividends.
- The plan aims to teach young, low-income couples the interpersonal skills necessary for healthy marriages.
- Students need to acquire cognitive skills along the way.
- Subjects retained many Web skills from the computer skills workshop.
- Also, thanks to John Hatton for sharpening my technical writing skills.
- Psychologists often stress the fact that juvenile delinquents lack the social skills needed to solve interpersonal problems.
- Because of that, all of these transferable skill sets actually don't get to play out in the workplace.
- One of my strengths is possessing the organizational skills needed to know where every detail came from.
- The greatest disparity in performance between the two tests occurred in students with high literacy skill levels in both languages.
- They will lack the language skills in either English or Mandarin to become professional workers in either cultural world.
- The position allowed her to begin honing her leadership skills.
- Tasks like the analysis of slave spirituals give them an opportunity to hone their critical thinking skills.
- The fact is those linguists who are engaged in real intelligence missions requiring their language skills are better qualified.
- I went from teaching literacy to teaching flying skills to teaching computer literacy skills.
- After a comprehension check, follow with some literacy skill development.
2(technique)typing is a very useful skill to have — saber escribir a máquina es muy útil
- the course develops your analytical skills — el curso desarrolla su capacidad analítica
- we need somebody with research skills — necesitamos a alguien con experiencia en investigación
- she has no secretarial skills — no sabe taquigrafía ni mecanografía (or procesamiento de textos etc.)
- the basic skills of graphic design — las técnicas básicas del diseño gráfico
- social skills — don de gentes
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.