In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Bedbug lairs can be anywhere, from telephone handsets and electrical goods to crevices in wooden furniture or behind skirting boards.
- There are also plaster-skimmed walls throughout, regency paneled doors and a moulded skirting.
- Replacing skirting and architraves is a good way of upgrading a home with minimum outlay.
- The wooden theme continues from the floor to the skirting which runs around the walls.
- Floors throughout are restored eight inch wide pine planks with natural wood skirting boards.
- Walls are white, offset with bright yellow doors and skirtings.
- We came home yesterday to find ants marching along the hall carpet and scurrying around the skirting boards.
- We've stripped wallpaper, painted, put up skirting boards, hung blinds, panelled ceilings and clad walls.
- Inside, walls are finished in tinted plaster, with no skirtings against the floors, which themselves are of polished pale concrete.
- Oak doors lead you from room to room and the brushed-steel fittings and solid wooden skirtings add style and sturdiness.
- The pale wood squares form a crisscross structure that runs around doorways, along skirting boards and across floors.
- He had ripped cupboard doors off their hinges and charged at walls and skirting boards.
- The skirting and door frame will have to wait until the walls and ceiling have dried.
- They have just hung new doors throughout our house, and fitted new skirting boards in our hallway.
- Your local builders' merchant will sell wood beading that you can paint to match the skirting.
- Mushrooms, some 4-5 cm high, have also been growing out of hallway skirting boards on the 9th floor.
- They are an inspiration to those of us still stuffing mushrooms and washing the skirting before a full day in the office.
- Another option is to disguise your radiators as skirtings.
- The chippies also added skirtings, trimmings and painted the walls, giving the 1920's accommodation a real boost.
- You should also use a sealing gun to close up cracks in floorboards, skirting boards and the like.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.