In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1casquete masculineReligion solideo masculine
- On their heads, they wore white knitted skullcaps, silken headscarves or baseball caps.
- He wiped the sweat from under his hat and swiftly put on a little skullcap, then stroked his short white beard.
- A tab-like projection on the center of a carved skullcap served to hold a headdress of animal skins and feathers.
- They wore close-fitting crocheted skullcaps that were noticed by others.
- Men in white shoulder-to-ankle gowns and skullcaps were selling their furniture, appliances, and clothing to feed their families.
- The attire of its male members, with their black skullcaps, is the strong symbol of the community's identity.
- Men wear silk or cotton embroidered skullcaps (duppi).
- At the masquerade party, my head was covered with a black skullcap with cute little feline ears.
- The Chancellor, without cowl or skullcap, did look very young, after all.
- So if your preference is something without a tail, the skullcap is your choice.
- The overhead lights bathed a sea of shining hair, flowing scarves, and skullcaps.
- A gray skullcap covered his head, barely masking the long scar on his cheek.
- This morning, he didn't wear his skullcap and his hair was ruffled by the wind.
- Instead of a crown, Arvid wore a knitted skullcap with holes for his ears to poke through.
- The stands are expected to be a sea of blue Vodacom Challenge skullcaps, which will be given to the first 25 000 fans to arrive.
- For those of us concerned not only with functional equipment but also looking good, the skullcap will prevent the dreaded helmet hair look.
- Men wear the doppilar, a small, square black skullcap.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.