In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1he kicked the ball sky-high — mandó la pelota por los aires
- house prices have gone sky-high — el precio de la vivienda se ha disparado / se ha puesto por las nubes
- Plastic processed cheese with practically no nutritional value but sky-high levels of fat is promoted as a source of protein.
- Without Arnie, it is highly debatable if today's prize money would be halfway near its current sky-high levels.
- I see that violent crime is out of control in our cities, snuffing out lives, mangling the limbs of the innocent, raising anxiety levels sky-high.
- Your chances of attracting a guy can reach sky-high limits, and the only work involved is getting involved.
- And with Americans eating out more often, anyone who measured the sky-high salt levels in restaurant foods could have predicted trouble.
- This may be helpful in a particularly high-risk area, where premiums are sky-high or insurance coverage is generally very difficult to come by.
- Others argue that it was the sky-high insurance premiums.
- Expert view: His cholesterol levels must be sky-high.
- Not only that, the interest at these sky-high levels will also be back-dated to when you took out the agreement.
- The levels always pack enough challenges to keep the tension ratcheted sky-high.
- ‘It was a hard time - tax levels were sky-high, and it was hard to motivate anyone to work,’ said Doyle.
- Police called for sky-high car insurance premiums in Greater Manchester to be slashed after a huge fall in vehicle crime in the region.
1prices are sky-high — los precios están por las nubes / son astronómicos
- he's sky-high on his chances of election — cree que tiene la victoria asegurada
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.