In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Like 100-meter sprinters, the top finishers in Olympic and world slalom races are separated by only hundredths of a second.
- The Swede, who won the giant slalom, slalom and overall titles last year, recorded a combined time of 2min 25.21 sec.
- Only three races remain this season, a super-G on Thursday, and a giant slalom and slalom on Saturday and Sunday.
- In his first season racing he won the Techno formula category last year and was second in the junior slalom.
- Could Killy himself pull off a hat trick of Olympic victories at Grenoble in downhill, giant slalom, and slalom?
- If I can find a gooshy old pair of Austrian slalom skis (no jet stix, thanks) I should be okay.
- To excel as a mogul skier, you must be on a mogul ski - essentially an old-school slalom ski without the heavy sheets of metal.
- For example, one pro skater might challenge you to break his record in a downhill slalom race that is akin to bobsledding.
- What's more, the parallel turn proved to be faster for slalom racing.
- More than 400 competitors from 40 countries will take part in half-pipe, big air, snowboard-cross, parallel giant slalom and parallel slalom.
- I kept finding myself so close to the gate I could have crossblocked them like a slalom course.
- In November 2000, victory in her comeback slalom laid the foundations for a remarkable season.
- It's part ski jump, part slalom slope and pure Engh.
- He tested positive for the banned stimulant, methamphetamine, after winning the bronze medal in the slalom at Salt Lake City.
- For Read won the slalom, table tennis and picked up a silver medal in the rifles.
- At the 1976 Innsbruck Olympics, Hanni won a bronze medal in the slalom.
- Paerson appears to have picked up where she left off last year, when she won the giant slalom and slalom season titles.
- It shoots like a slalom course through 20-foot-tall cedars.
- Somewhere between his last win in Wengen and the start gate at the top of the slalom course yesterday afternoon, the magic had left him.
- In snowboarding, brother and sister Owen and Ashley Cook cleaned up in the slalom and freestyle.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.