In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in basketball)(canasta marcada metiendo el balón con fuerza desde arriba) clavada feminine
- You can have mad skill, killer hops and handle, or the monster slam dunk.
- Yesterday the NBA announced the four contestants in the annual slam dunk contest.
- Erving was introduced as ‘the man who's turned the slam dunk into an art and thrilled ABA fans with moves beyond recognition.’
- Once upon a time, players entered the slam dunk contest because it gave them a shot at endorsements and a nice extra paycheck.
- ‘Since this morning after breakfast,’ said Pyron, he then did a slam dunk.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.