In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I'm sorry to be slangy, but this automatic writing must have started from somewhere.
- His hosts are dumbstruck when their language is used against them with such slangy glee.
- Québecois French was more slangy and… ‘different’ from the ‘Standard French’ she learned, which was mostly the European French.
- Not that Tóibín's language is jarringly contemporary or slangy.
- Maybe the broadcasting experience honed her writers' voice - one that was chiding, enthusiastic, slangy, argumentative, and sometimes bossy.
- These two spoke in a slangy language which was virtually incomprehensible to anyone hearing it for the first time, though by repetition week by week a mental glossary could be constructed.
- Olivia has that irresistible Anglo-Aussie accent instead of the slangy, lowdown vernacular of the Hollywood girls of her era.
- So the slangy expressions ‘to have a thing about’ or ‘the thing is’ etc. actually hark back to this interesting history.
- Female speech tends to be evaluated as more ‘correct’ or more ‘prestigious’, less slangy, etc.
- The book, which comes in very large print with photos every two pages, travels back and forth in time in a slangy, stream-of-consciousness tone.
- Rather, the writing spoofs the witty, slangy, often over-written dialogue of movies and radio broadcasts of the time.
- There are several slangy / derogatory expressions in English that I really detest and would never use.
- Angel speaks of the cultist with contempt and his typical slangy eloquence.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.