In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1bufonadas femininepayasadas femininebefore noun slapstick comedy — astracanada feminine
- But a lot of the comedy is silly slapstick stuff, with people hitting each other with balloons and getting into fights.
- Every joke in the film works for me, even the slapstick at the sidewalk cafe and the barge, and I'm not a big fan of physical comedy.
- Their happy laughter rang down the tunnel as they appreciated the irony, or failing that, the slapstick.
- This is aiming to be a sort of slapstick comedy but, as you say, it's very intermittent.
- It is a comedy with both slapstick and verbal humour.
- The script is dreadful - even the slapstick fails to raise a smile.
- A series of slapstick events leave both penniless and on the run, where they form a grudging bond.
- This satirical, slapstick comedy is a feel-good film that is effortless to watch.
- The film is billed as a sophisticated comedy that gleefully mixes slapstick humour, with something a little more grown-up for all viewers.
- John giggled at the slapstick, not quite understanding what all of the fear in the air was about.
- A lack of imagination on the part of the writer, the director and the actors results in slapstick comedy and innuendoes in dialogues.
- The tone, which veers from slapstick comedy to mawkish melodrama, is as volatile as nitroglycerine.
- What follows from here is unbridled mawkishness interrupted by some slapstick comedy.
- But it should not be reduced to something showing slapstick comedies and lewd jokes.
- It would be funny, like one of the old silent slapsticks.
- As one expects of Elton, it's all done with slapstick humour, parody, irony and lots of absurd action.
- Families enjoyed the fun-filled evening of good music, slapstick comedy and all-around entertainment.
- We are fed up of slapstick comedies and dialogues filled with double meaning.
- His movements, reactions and slapstick comedy were a treat to watch.
- Such typical comedy tricks such as speeding up the film, slapstick humor, and wacky looks are all present here.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.