In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sordidez femininethe sleaze factor was decisive in his defeat — su pasado turbio (or su affaire etc.) fue un factor decisivo en su derrota
- Stories are increasingly about scandal, sleaze and misconduct.
- And the plans to reduce the hours for the job by 25% will make it more difficult for her successor to conduct proper inquiries into allegations of sleaze.
- Scandals concerning sleaze and corruption have a long history within British politics and have periodically come to the attention of the public.
- Sleaze or no sleaze, Labour never looked like losing.
- These upper reaches of the music industry suffer a reputation for sleaze and dishonesty, but Hawley offers another perspective on the matter.
- O'Brien wrote of sleaze and corruption and a ‘boyish-looking’ opposition leader.
- Under the previous Tory government, it became accepted that politics was all about hypocrisy and corruption, otherwise known as sleaze.
- And as for sleaze or corruption, what I'd like to know is: where are they?
- This left us a legacy of legal straitjackets which have, in their way, contributed to the climate of sleaze, greed and corruption which has lumbered us with costly tribunals.
- We've had 20 high-profile years of corruption, mismanagement, sleaze and notoriety.
- And now the fall-out from that baptism of fire for the new ruling group has begun, with allegations of sleaze, bribery and illegal voting.
- I have closely followed the debate on the pros and cons of the European Union and make no secret of my distress that we belong to this body of sleaze, corruption and its anti-democratic practices.
- But we should remember that sleaze was not about actual corruption.
- Every day, it seems there is another story about corporate sleaze, fraud and robbery by senior company executives, many with connections to the administration.
- Long-serving governments will always gain a reputation for corruption and sleaze, and the Prime Minister of the day will always carry the can.
- Even worse for John, his tenure as PM had been marked by treachery and sleaze.
- Despite the unresolved allegations of sleaze and corruption, it is a matter of conviction to this writer that the bulk of our politicians are decent and well-intentioned.
- And evils like corruption, bribery, sleaze and fraud leave an impact on young minds that yearn for an avenue to let their radical thoughts out.
- But behind the make-up was a hotbed of corruption, violence, sleaze and racism that ruled the streets of Shanghai.
- ‘Give politicians control of banks, and you have a recipe for sleaze and corruption,’ says one.
2US informal(corrupt person)sinvergüenza femininechueco masculine Mexico Chile informalchueca feminine Mexico Chile informal
- The problem is, she's a looney, and he's a sleaze.
- When standing on the dancefloor, I could have been in any typical club around Leicester Square or Piccadilly Circus… plenty of drunks, try-hards, sleazes, idiots, and easy girls all packed in.
- The service is on the poor side and as I said on the weekends it is packed with classless sleazes.
- In so many words, Santorum says that the bugman is a sleaze, even if he may not have been so sloppy as to violate the law.
- Mark may be a sleaze, but he would never break his word.
- The guy may be a sleaze and a manipulator, but the newspaper means a lot to him.
- Tom is now a sleaze, who cannot hold a steady job to save himself.
- He is such a sleaze trying to pretend he's resigning because he's gay and had an affair.
- ‘Wow Dave, you've never sounded like more of a sleaze in your life,’ Liz said with a laugh.
- But to so-called scholars, Italians are born sleazes and Machiavelli was the King Sleazo.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.