In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine vía de accesofeminine vía de salida
- This lay-by is a ready-made slip road alongside a hedge and ditch directly bordering the southern end of the racecourse by which easy access could be made on to the racecourse.
- The pair collided with one another while queuing at the bottom of the slip road at junction 30, where the motorway meets the A13.
- Also the private entrance onto the Green is used as a public highway, for a slip road when the town is impossible to get through.
- Beyond the slip road was a vast junction of roads where cars and trucks hurtled along totally oblivious to our presence.
- Police are appealing again for a witness who spoke to the victim of a road rage incident after he was attacked earlier this year on a motorway slip road.
- In one case vulnerable residents would have to cross a motorway slip road to reach the next branch if their existing one closed.
- I crossed the roundabout, took the bridge over the motorway, looped round the second roundabout and sped down the slip road onto the motorway itself.
- The tragedy happened just after midnight and was witnessed by a horrified police officer who had been passing the slip road to the motorway in a patrol car.
- At the last service station before the slip road I checked the tyres and watched the staff, who were all West Indian, cluster around a car containing their friends.
- They continued their pursuit along Broadway and on to a motorway slip road.
- The exit slip road from the eastbound carriageway into Tadcaster Road is set to be closed to traffic on a number of nights, starting at 9pm on Tuesday March 12.
- The shooting happened on a slip road on the Southgate section of the Huddersfield ring road, opposite a sports centre, at 2.15 am on Sunday.
- If you are travelling in the left hand lane, and you see cars coming down the slip road, it may not be possible to get into the middle lane, because of heavy traffic.
- An acoustic fence will also be built between Ashfield Lane and the motorway slip road.
- Near the motorway slip road the bus was boarded by a swarm of off-duty cleaners and service staff, heading west away from their menial jobs towards where the cheaper housing is.
- She claimed the gap closures had actually increased the risks, because it had been safer to nip across to the gap than to emerge on to the westbound carriageway without a slip road.
- By the time they arrived the 29-year-old labourer had sped off the motorway and careered the wrong way down a dual-carriageway and slip road.
- The slip road on to the road was still closed this morning after two men on walking in the area found the body.
- Police probing the death of a man who drove the wrong way up a motorway slip road, today said he could have been driving erratically just moments before the crash.
- Mr Leeson's car had turned right from the slip road, back onto the dual carriageway, when the accident happened.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.