In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At the moment crews launch their boat on the public slipway in Tolsey Lane and take it through the lock to reach the Severn.
- Qora, Ndumbi and Kob Inn all have gravel roads leading to concrete slipways at the water, yet they are forced to apply for a licence.
- When finished, Titanic Quarter hopes to include offices, shops, a maritime museum and, beside the old slipway, a building that will tell the Titanic story.
- For launching use the slipway at Falmouth Watersports Centre or take off from the beach at Maenporth or Porthoustock, on the Lizard.
- Strong winds and low tides kept the ship on the slipway for an extra 24 hours.
- I am told that a fisherman of more than 70 summers was repairing his boat on the slipway of a little Northern port much used by divers.
- Other suggestions included a facility for boat repair, a slipway, more car parking in the area and a small boat marina.
- As such, there was no conventional dynamic launch down a slipway.
- Far fewer boats will enter the water using slipways, the meeting heard, so those boat owners who do not go elsewhere for their leisure will have to pay more, up from £6 to £10 for smaller vessels.
- The boats are launched from a slipway into the island's precarious harbour, steered through lulls in the surf and out to passing ships to trade or to load freight.
- I am here concerned mainly with claims for damage caused by the deposit of silt on the bed of the river in sufficient quantities to interfere with navigation and the use of facilities such as slipways and moorings.
- One by one they were released into the River Stour from the jetty by the sailing club near the slipway at Quay Street.
- We dragged our kayaks down the slipway in to the water and got in.
- Penzance harbour has an excellent slipway for launching, with a large car park adjacent (fees charged for both).
- From the 1st July there will be charges on everything from entering the port, use of slipways and basic port facilities to the landing of fish at a cost of up to €40 per tonne.
- The launch took place on a slipway at Windermere Marina Village.
- Extending the pier, providing extra slipways and an off-shore marina acceptable to residents, are all part of ambitious plans submitted for funding.
- Alexander was unattainable for he took command of moving the ship down the makeshift slipway toward the tidal flats.
- Fr. Rogan also played an active part in easing the life of the residents of Innisbiggle where recently they acquired a much-needed facility in the building of slipways and the beautiful restoration of the church on the Island.
- Any development or provision of services should incorporate the infrastructural needs of a wide range of marine leisure activities including fishing, day boating, canoeing, diving and launch slipways.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.