In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tortuga feminine informal
- One event for the sprinter pumped up on growth hormones and another for the free-range slowpoke.
- ‘Whoops, forgot about the slowpoke guys,’ Esmée teased, ‘We'll catch you up, you go ahead and get tickets and such.’
- Sources say Lowe's is thinking about auto-checkout systems, but it is unclear how popular such systems will become - especially if lines form when slowpokes can't scan their items faster than cashiers.
- This simple picture book is a charming account of a class walk during which Joe (the prototypical slowpoke who takes time to ‘smell the roses’) sees things that the other children miss.
- You didn't expect us to stick around and wait for that slowpoke, did you?
- If I was the slowpoke driver, then Chanzy was the speed demon.
- ‘Get out of bed, slowpoke,’ she snarled at me as she tossed the bag at my chest.
- Hurry up, they'll be gone before you get there, slowpoke!
- I'm famished too and was just waiting on you slowpokes.
- It was that same awareness, on his part, that kept me from feeling like a slowpoke.
- ‘Excuse me,’ I smiled to a polite-looking slowpoke woman.
- Falorni says the shepherds were the slowpokes, not him.
- This is the third successive match now that he has come, played like a slowpoke and ruined India's runrate.
- When that happens, traditional news media look like slowpokes.
- Hurry up slowpoke and get some before I eat it all.
- First, they point out, far from being slowpokes, boxfishes can scoot over a reef at six body lengths per second - an impressive speed by any standard.
- And those are for the slowpokes - folks who have time to sit down at the dining room table and enjoy a meal.
- ‘Bring it on, slowpoke,’ Andi taunted playfully.
- As for Virginia's other prescriptions, I think penalizing slowpoke professors is a great idea.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.