In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cerradode miras estrechas
- Post-Civil-War America therefore seemed to exhibit the worst kind of small-minded, lacklustre parochialism, but it had coupled it with a loutish popularism.
- My friend was worried about the way this film would play for a small-minded and bigoted audience.
- Think of how grey, introverted, small-minded and parochial Scotland can sometimes be.
- I mean, if this were Wales say, or Scotland, I dare say I could rabbit away about small-minded, provincial parochialism.
- Every once in a blue moon, something will come along that is so immediately affecting and amazing that our usual sarcasm-laced tone just seems petty and small-minded.
- That was not the action of a small-minded or petty individual.
- To think, or act, otherwise is to be as small-minded and as bigoted as those you many complain about.
- This is to be welcomed because it marks a setback for the backward-looking and small-minded, illiberal and anti-democratic outlook that has come to define the radical rump.
- He plans his escape from the provincial small-minded perceptions of the immediate community.
- There are times when such enclaves are small-minded, doctrinaire, judgmental, and prejudiced to the extreme.
- Even in the advertising industry, it seems that you have to show small-minded, petty acts of vandalism to get noticed.
- This approach, while not pretty, has been effective; yet it is a mean, small-minded strategy crafted for placid times.
- It is past time for us to leave behind our small-minded insularity and recognize that we are moving into a world in which we will have to learn to live with and respect people who are different from us.
- For while the political implications are indeed large, the tactics employed by both sides have been depressingly small-minded.
- But Gardaí who criticise the book are being small-minded and short-sighted.
- Thus there are some signs that we might get a week of eloquent dispute as opposed to small-minded and parochial bickering.
- Let the good that he did live after him, and the evil be interred with the petty theses of small-minded philosophers.
- But it sounded very parochial, very small-minded, very irrelevant.
- As payback, this trashy movie treats them as small-minded provincials.
- By 1978, however, he was gone, eased out by the small-minded, petty individuals who dominated the club's board at the time.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.