In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cambio masculinesuelto masculinedinero suelto masculinesencillo masculine Latin Americaferia feminine Mexico informal
- Our sources agree that the wealthy citizens of Athens conducted their business in minae, and that in these circles a drachma was small change.
- Okay, that's small change compared with the billions involved in electronics exports, and a theme park doesn't exactly mesh with ambitions of a high-tech future.
- All the same, the dollars the consumer sector is losing at the pump are small change compared to inflating home equity (coupled with rising incomes).
- But the estimated £8m spent by the government on its defence team is small change compared with the cost to the UK and US governments on the trial and appeal.
- In the scheme of things, that's small change compared to the $1 billion the NIH has estimated will be needed to cure Parkinson's.
- But that's small change to the former CEO, who's rumoured to be hanging out for $20 million.
- If one adds the $3 billion to $5 billion cost of a $30 to $50 tax cut for the average worker, one sees that it is small change.
- This being said, revenues related to online gaming have been, to date, negligible, but this may be small change if online gaming really takes off.
- But that is small change when compared with the money, jobs and business opportunities that could be generated within if the mine goes into production.
- That the women's cricket team now has a sponsor - even it if is a stereotypical women's product, jewellery, is small change compared to the level of support for the men's team.
- But that is small change compared to the leader of Milton Keynes council, who takes more than £32,000.
- But this was small change when compared to the pay taken in by the top executives.
- This is small change compared to the devastation caused to friends and family by the loss of their loved ones.
- The £150,000 cost of replacing it seems small change compared to the 1986 total expenditure but given the extra pressures on council cash in 2003 it is still a tidy sum of money.
- That's small change compared to the interruptions facing today's superstars.
- Smaller companies have lower cost bases, and they are more likely to be able to get value from 10-million-barrel fields which would represent small change to the majors.
- But this spending is small change in a world of $90-million contracts.
- That's small change compared with the $5 billion it estimates will be paid out in compensation over coming decades.
- The precise size of the world economy may not matter much from a policy point of view, though a $14 trillion difference is hardly small change.
- US $25 million is but a small change compared to some of the oil contracts we've handled in the past, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.