In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the (wee) small hours (of the morning) — la madrugada
- they sat up into the small hours talking — se quedaron hablando hasta la madrugada / hasta altas horas de la noche
- The programme is live and has no end time, going on for as long as the discussion does, often into the small hours of the morning.
- After a well earned Friday at the pub I left at the same time as my female housemate in the small hours of Saturday morning.
- Got home very late from LA last night, and sat in the small hours of the morning, listening to it three or four times over.
- It says a lot for the game that people around the world still go to such lengths to catch the game, watching until the small hours of Monday morning.
- She escaped from home in the small hours of the morning and was married to Welch that evening by a civil magistrate.
- In the small hours of Friday morning the plane took off, and headed south to Florida.
- In the small hours of the morning, he climbed into the bed next to Lara, and held her close to him.
- The name night market is no misnomer, since many keep going until the small hours of the morning.
- I eventually got home in the small hours of Sunday morning to sleep in a bed for the first time in a week.
- He set off in the early hours of one morning and finished in the small hours of the next.
- He denied there was a celebration party into the small hours of the morning.
- We constantly hear about families who are raided in the small hours of the morning.
- We were up and about chatting into the small hours last night, so this morning ran a little late.
- Older people are terrified by fireworks exploding in the small hours of the morning.
- I sat into the small hours of the morning and read from the first paragraph to the last!
- The crowd then danced and partied on to the small hours of the morning.
- The final chuckle of the week was a sort of a personal epiphany that came to me in the small hours of Tuesday morning.
- The attack, which took place in the small hours of Monday morning, hit GM maize growing in the farm's research fields.
- A boyfriend and I were walking home to a bedsit in a dodgy part of Edinburgh in the small hours of the morning.
- These patients may be at no greater a driving risk than the foolish young man who drives without sleep in the small hours of the morning.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.