In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1viruela femininebefore noun smallpox vaccination — vacuna antivariólica feminine
- He seems to suffer from the impression that the vaccine is just as contagious as smallpox.
- This has been illustrated by the elimination of other viral infections such as smallpox.
- There have been few articles on the risks of smallpox or of the vaccine in the popular media.
- Anthrax just isn't the public health disaster that smallpox has the potential to be.
- Who knew until it was too late that the blankets were ridden with smallpox and other communicable diseases!
- For 130 years or more after Jenner introduced a vaccine for smallpox this was the only vaccine in general use.
- Polio will be the second disease after smallpox to be eradicated.
- As a naturally occurring disease smallpox is potent and as a weapon of biological warfare it is terrifying.
- The most likely diagnosis was thought to be a severe viral infection - but not smallpox.
- Hahnemann, the founder of homoeopathy, was a supporter of smallpox vaccination.
- Of the biological weapons, anthrax and smallpox are the most feared.
- Although thousands of Barbadians died from yellow fever and smallpox, Quakers were particularly hard hit.
- Animal research has led to vaccines for rabies, smallpox, rubella, measles and anthrax.
- There now seems a real prospect that, like smallpox, polio may be eradicated entirely from the world.
- Disease was rampant and smallpox, typhus, typhoid and dysentery made death familiar.
- The process induced cowpox, a mild viral disease that conferred immunity to smallpox.
- It is possible that one or both of these pandemics were due to smallpox, or even measles.
- Both anthrax and smallpox vaccines have been in use for a long time, but there are few other similarities between them.
- Malnutrition was rife, as were diseases such as tuberculosis and smallpox.
- Terrorists can bring back diseases like smallpox and they can even create their own.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.