In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1campaña difamatoria femininecampaña de desprestigio feminine
- He accused the Labor councillor and her colleagues of planning a smear campaign against him to hurt the Balance Team - a claim the councillor denies.
- Well, Senator Kerry had to respond to these scurrilous attacks on his character as a smear campaign.
- His write up in the newspaper smells of political witch-hunt and a political smear campaign.
- He said it would be ‘quite incorrect’ to describe anything as a smear campaign unless it was based on publication of false information.
- The owner of a Manchester curry house - said to be the biggest in the country - has published an open letter to refute allegations made in a e-mail smear campaign.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.