In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Kodi's eyes snapped open as he fell into a coughing fit caused by the ammonia in the smelling salts.
- With a sputtering cough, Cyrus was jerked back into consciousness, the acrid ammonia fumes of the smelling salts under his nose doing their job.
- Several maids were trying to revive her with smelling salts.
- She took a deep sniff of her smelling salts. ‘I've been worried sick!’
- Alex was waving some smelling salts in front of her face.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.