In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They are very smiley and friendly in there every afternoon, and chat to us as they make our tea, so asked if we'd like them to get in any special food for us, and whether we'd like to make it a nice long leisurely lunch.
- He had once seemed mysterious, but I knew he was just as smiley and happy as the rest when they all broke into laughter at his remarks.
- A festival of smiley faces, sparkling costumes and the sound of steel band drummers created a sunshine atmosphere.
- However, walking in the store today, with all the lights twinkling and everything looking rather bright, gave me a warm, smiley feeling inside.
- People like Mick Hartford used to say he played better when he was angry, he couldn't do himself justice when he was smiley and happy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.