In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1señal de humo feminine
- Many of their traditions and their original methods of communication - their language, smoke signals, and messages carried by people on foot - have survived.
- Tribes in Kurdistan set up a primitive warning system with observers and smoke signals to warn the most likely targets of the approach of British aircraft.
- The smoke signals from the Vatican were certainly this week's most newsworthy communicative acts.
- In times of danger, during the Crusades, smoke signals were relayed between Saladin's Castle, Marqab, Safita and Crac des Chevaliers, our next stop.
- There is sign language, flag semaphores, smoke signals, and Morse code.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.