In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- No doubt George Clooney, Pierce Brosnan and other smoothies will pester their agents to get the part, while old-timers like Omar Sharif might see it as a suitable way to round off a long career.
- He was a suave smoothie who sang about relationships with a mixture of wisdom and regret.
- I'm so used to seeing a smoothie in a smart suit, it took a second to identify the casually - dressed bloke sporting a badgery goatee and swinging a scooter helmet.
- The best smoothie since Sinatra croons his way through favourites such as ‘I Left My Heart in San Francisco’, plus the usual Ellington and Gershwin numbers.
- So this centre offers the delicious prospect of a group of Tories, backed by the realistic and Labour-voting working class, in passionate opposition to the irresponsible metropolitan smoothies within their own party.
individuo de mucha labia, de modales muy pulidos y/o muy atildado en el vestir
(fruit drink)smoothie masculine
- It is fully equipped to make ice cream drinks, frozen fruit smoothies and coffee drinks.
- The full range of smoothies, thickies and yoghurts have now reached supermarket shelves, building sales to £35m.
- Since we had 40 minutes to spare before dinner, we went to a Vienna Beef shack not far from the campus, and enjoyed strawberry and banana smoothies that really cooled us off in the balmy early spring evening.
- I went round to my 80-year old neighbour's last year, and threw out all her gin bottles and filled her fridge with organic smoothies, much better for her really.
- I had lunch in Cafe 1001, great for people-watching and toasted focaccia sandwiches, but my cherry smoothie tasted mostly and strangely of banana.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.