In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(tobacco/drugs) contrabandear(tobacco/drugs) pasar de contrabando(drugs/tobacco) hacer contrabando dethey were smuggled out of the country — los sacaron clandestinamente del país
- he smuggled the watches past / through customs — pasó los relojes de contrabando
- I smuggled her into my room — la hice entrar a mi habitación a escondidas
- In the border area of Entikong and Tebedu, timber smuggling is increasingly rife and openly practiced.
- They also have enforcement of copyright laws and tighter control on pirated goods being smuggled into the country.
- He faces up to 10 years in jail for illegally smuggling arms into India.
- There are at least seven million legal weapons in Germany, but perhaps twice that number in illegal guns smuggled in.
- Revenue was also busy cracking illegal cigarette and tobacco smuggling.
- The 1990s saw a massive increase in the smuggling of tobacco and cigarettes into the United Kingdom.
- The pictures show baby lemurs from Madagascar that have been illegally smuggled into the country.
- Velchev said they played a role in the smuggling of excise goods such as cigarettes and liquor.
- Thailand's police are on the alert for an increase in smuggling of diesel oil at sea.
- Organized crime uses our ports to smuggle everything from heroin to guns to illegal immigrants.
- So long as there is a demand for the produce, illegal excavations and the smuggling of antiquities will continue.
- Strict penalties will be handed out to those involved in the smuggling or illegal collection of birds, he added.
- In the years after independence, Macedonia launched a clamp-down on cigarette smuggling.
- Armed robberies, fuel and cigarette smuggling, money-laundering and counterfeiting must also end.
- He says his only link to the attack is an admission he hired two vans which he believed would be used for cigarette smuggling.
- Now the governments of the UK and Jamaica are spending £2m on a crackdown on cocaine smuggling.
- The packets of cigarettes were being smuggled inside cans labelled as peas or beans.
- Eight of the nine had previously pleaded guilty to being involved in the dealing of smuggling cigarettes.
- Aren't almost all handguns used in crimes stolen or smuggled into the country illegally already?
- To make sure the Merry Men did not get new hardware, he cracked down on smuggling and the black market.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.