In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1afanar slangbirlar informal
- Greenwood snaffled the ball at the front of a line out and sprinted 20 metres to open the second-half scoring.
- Don't forget to snaffle a snack mid-afternoon, to maintain your glucose levels.
- More than half the tickets were quickly snaffled by Lions supporters.
- If anyone has forgotten to pack their white shirt - a not uncommon occurrence, one member of the orchestra says - they have quickly snaffled a replacement.
- But what about Jeremy Paxman's book, Friends in High Places, that showed the best jobs are snaffled by those from public schools and elite universities?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.