In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
(turtle)tortuga mordedora feminine
- Small hard-skinned fish such as snappers, grouper, breams and hind should be gutted and scaled on capture and kept in slurry.
- The snapper is Canada's largest freshwater turtle. It can attain a shell length of 45 cm and weights exceeding 15 kg. Its serpentine neck, massive head, muscular legs, and relatively long tail make it seem even larger.
- On the shallow reef shelter schools of humpbacked and bluelined snappers, oriental sweetlips and yet more fat, docile groupers.
- This is a fantastic summer main course, served with a crunchy green salad on the side. Use a firm, flaky white fish such as snapper, cod or sea bass.
- Common fish which can give ciguatera fish poisoning include groupers, barracudas, snappers, and mackerel.
- The wrecks are home to a wide variety of corals and marine life including angelfish, barracudas, margates, sharks, snappers and turtles.
1.2(fish)pargo masculinehuachinango masculine Mexico
2informal(photographer)fotógrafo masculinefotógrafa feminine
- Beside them, though, was a crowd of mobile phone-weilding snappers hoping for momentary fame as their grainy pictures were picked up by Sky or the BBC.
- Digital cameras have revolutionised the world of photography, but many snappers are shocked when they realise just how much it costs to print those fabulous pictures of little Emily.
- Five keen snappers received free photography tuition from a professional in a project supported by the Greater Woolwich neighbourhood renewal panel.
- In the second show of Nunnnington Hall's spring and summer programme, the iconic photography of British snapper Terry O'Neill will be on view from May 1 to June 25.
- In two years' time, the majority of holiday snappers will be wielding digital cameras.
3(in US football)centro masculine
- He is one of the league's best, and coach Bill Cowher doesn't believe in using a position player as a long snapper just to save a roster spot.
- Happe also served as the Beaver's long snapper on punts and placekicks.
- Rob Davis, the Packers' long snapper, is the first player from Shippensburg (Pa.) College to play in the NFL.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.