In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
intransitive verbsniveling, snivelling, snivelled, sniveled
1lloriqueargimoteargive that sniveling child a handkerchief — dale un pañuelo a ese llorón
- Someone has to straighten these people out before all of our kids turn into sniveling, whining, spoiled brats.
- They'll scream class warfare, but in light of the charges it starts to sound like sniveling defensiveness.
- You've never cared or had the ability to be sensitive before; stop your sniveling and go back to sleep.
- And whatever you do, don't resort to any whining, snivelling, or whimpering tactics.
- But don't do it because you expect to be rewarded for sniveling before His throne.
- Daddy isn't supposed to snivel about how the locals didn't do their job.
- You can stay here sniveling about how much you're hurting.
- I begged, pleaded and sniveled until he agreed to loan it to me for evaluation.
- Do you know how long it takes me to patrol sniveling, weak little undermen like you trying to find a general, captain, or anyone that can take a bit of leadership?
- They're the ones who are sniveling, just because someone is actually using the service that they're offering.
- After all the man had done for him, how could he whine and snivel and ask for more, dragging him down with demands?
- You can stay here and snivel all you want, but I'm not gonna let that brave girl die out there alone.
- Why does everything have to be centred around that snivelling little brat?
- I couldn't look at them, all I could do was whine and snivel and cry like a stupid, stupid baby.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.