In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Storm warnings were posted from Wisconsin to New England, as heavy snowfalls were reported in many areas.
- Freezing temperatures and snowfalls return by the end of August.
- After a winter of meager snowfalls, another drought is likely.
- However, this negative correlation may be due to an association between precipitation and damaging snowfalls or ice storms.
- As they brace themselves for the big thaw following this week's snowfall, the people of York might not have needed a reminder of flooding.
- I moved here in March of 2001 and just missed the most significant snowfall for years by six weeks.
- I look over to where the snow bank remained last week, the last vestiges of a record five-foot February snowfall.
- In Bolton there was a four inch snowfall over night.
- But the paltry amount of snow here is a relief compared to the four-foot snowfalls we'd receive at least five times a year in Montreal.
- The sliding door to the back was sparkling clean and the footprints in the back yard had been covered with last night's snowfall.
- Like rain storms and snowfalls, we have no control over anything that nature has given to us.
- On the Western Slopes the rainfall gradually decreases, together with the frequency of winter snowfalls.
- Only a thin metal wall protected her from the winter's third snowfall.
- The last two days have bought with them my wished for snowfall.
- Meanwhile emergency services were bracing themselves for more heavy snowfalls.
- Temperatures plummeted in the Eastern Cape over the weekend as a heatwave gave way to rain and snowfalls in some areas in just 24 hours.
- Then further snowfalls are expected which will add to the snow already at the skiing areas.
- The South African Weather Service warned yesterday that most parts of South Africa would experience cold and rainy weather with the possibility of snowfalls over the next few days.
- The West Yellowstone Fall Camp begins with the first snowfalls of November and runs until the first of December.
- It happened last Sunday, during New York's one and only snowfall this winter.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.