In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(unspecified person)fulano masculinefulana feminineMr So-and-so — don / señor Fulano (de Tal)
- Mrs So-and-so — doña / señora Fulana (de Tal)
- so-and-so wants this, so-and-so wants that — fulano quiere esto, mengano quiere aquello
- They have whispering campaigns without including so-and-so, making sure so-and-so knows about it.
- So you have people saying, well, we have to trust these people because Lady so-and-so or Lord so-and-so have seen this thing.
- From there, it pretty much boils down to so-and-so begot so-and-so, with certain offspring taking the high road while others took the low.
- I want to know people that you can pick up the phone to, and say, ‘Do you remember so-and-so?’
- It was a subject that everyone seemed to be talking about these days - who liked who, who was going to go out, who said that so-and-so liked so-and-so… but Greg had never asked me before and for some reason I was not sure how to answer.
- Meanwhile so-and-so has to come to school, and do you think he doesn't know what people are saying behind his back?
- I'm always a little suspicious of such claims… and not just because it seems quite possible for someone to take an old piece of clothing and claim that so-and-so wore it in such-and-such a film.
- My name is so-and-so and I tried to kill myself by doing this!
- Yeah, I remember when so-and-so left a dead fish in my locker.
- Not surprisingly, given the litigious times in which we live, most writers turn coy when quizzed about whether so-and-so was the model for a character.
- I always find it so interesting to note how different personalities play together, and how one personality might find so-and-so a perfect match whilst another personality might find the same so-and-so intensely irritating!
- I have also seen many names such as so-and-so real estate advisory company or management advisory company.
- I pouted and folded my arms again, energy sapped because a certain so-and-so decided to shoot down my enthusiasm.
- Do I have to remember so-and-so's phone number?
- But, being the conniving old so-and-so he is, he went one better.
- Presumably that's because he knows all about being bossed around by a miserable old so-and-so that everyone wishes would retire.
- But they're bright little so-and-sos, both of them, and he knows as well as she does that he will never be enough to make her happy.
- People would call him a lucky so-and-so, but he had skill and application and he was very, very clever.
- He might be a groovy so-and-so who just happens to think you're hot.
- He used to be such a good sport, but now he's a grumpy old so-and-so.
- He knew I was a determined so-and-so, and he knew what buttons to press to get the best out of me.
- Are the world's leading recording companies a bunch of spoiled, ungrateful, money-grabbing so-and-sos or what?
- But my table companions were disappointed when it came to dessert and they found that the trifle had been completely gobbled up by some greedy so-and-sos who were there earlier in the evening.
- He's a tough so-and-so, and he'll figure out how to do it.
- When I see my team-mates in the bar after a game I sometimes wonder if they are saying it's about time that old so-and-so gave up.
- Ask people what they think of politicians and most will reply that they are a bunch of lying, cheating, self-interested so-and-sos.
- There is the ever present, ‘Should I leave so-and-so because I think he's a son of a so-and-so?’
- It is unlikely that I would have phoned up for tickets if I wasn't a contrary so-and-so.
- I appreciate that I've been a bit of a so-and-so, but you've made your point and I will try to be different.
- My current gardener is a lazy so-and-so and I'm sorely tempted to give him his marching orders.
- You can imagine, then, how annoyed I am to find out that the so-and-sos have double-crossed me: the decent thing I thought they were doing was in fact an unspeakably sleazy trick that makes sense only as part of a cover-up.
- And dammit we don't need to do that to be well armed or be the baddest so-and-so in the valley.
- Well, what about their statement as they leave the building, saying that he had spoken softly and what a smart so-and-so he was.
- And we thought, well, poor so-and-sos, they're in the same kind of muck as we are.
2euphemistic(unpleasant person)which so-and-so has used up all the hot water? — ¿quién fue el tal por cual que me dejó sin agua caliente? Chile euphemistic
- you so-and-sos! — ¡tales para cuales!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.