In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1dramón masculine informaltragedia feminine
- A conwoman who has been waking people in the middle of the night, spinning a sob story to trick them out of money has been foiled by an 80-year-old woman.
- As careful reporters and producers demonstrated over and over again, a story that makes you cry need not be a sob story, and should not be.
- You ask mid-sentence in your sob story about being used for nothing more than knowing your way around a computer.
- He had heard the entire sob story during a night with her.
- I stumbled on this article from CNN which details the sob story of a 15 year old boy found guilty of murder.
- Then he goes into the sob story of not finding work.
- He had refused it, but she told him the same sob story she told me.
- Best of all last night was that although Alicia gave a bit of a sob story about her upbringing she didn't focus on it as much as last week.
- The abuse ranges from violence in the home to financial abuse where a person is deliberately befriended and told a sob story so they leave cash in their will.
- I'm not pleading for sympathy or giving you a sob story, that's not my style, but it is really, really getting to me.
- Since you're a soft touch for a sob story, I thought I'd pass this on.
- She made the cut not because she was a great singer but because she had a sob story.
- She was quick to sympathize and usually only a sob story could sway her vote unless the teller seemed too pathetic to her.
- Female contestants vied to tell the weepiest sob story to win the bushel of prizes.
- When she called Bell she could have pulled out the standard sob story, but instead she managed to convince the woman at accounts just how great these boots really were.
- I told her a sob story about a math assignment, a philosophy paper and computer science midterm in a way that I thought would assure a remedy for my chronic procrastination.
- Another one I don't want to hear is the sob story about people working at the big financial firms who didn't get raises.
- He hands over his expense money in an airport when he falls for a sob story from a woman.
- Giving a client a sob story to elicit money is usually a bad idea.
- ‘It's not a sob story because I think all writers have a point where they burn out,’ says the 32-year-old.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.