In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If he knew more about sociolinguistics, he might be able to use his power and his bully pulpit to advocate for what the discipline sees as the solution to the literacy crisis - teaching youth how to shift easily between dialects.
- If we look across the social and behavioral sciences - outside of sociolinguistics and psycholinguistics - there are remarkably few cases where linguistic analysis plays any explicit role in research.
- Regarding the first principle, the lessons of sociolinguistics demonstrate that language prejudice is not grounded in linguistic reality, but in social considerations.
- You can trace that from William Labov and his street-level sociolinguistics, or further back if you want to.
- In order to make sense of these elisions, we need to turn our attention momentarily to a more focused consideration of such instances of language use, one account of which is offered by sociolinguistics.
- Professor Joshua Fishman, regarded as one of the founders of sociolinguistics, challenges the widely held view that English, as the global lingua franca, is cutting a swathe through regional and local languages.
- In yesterday's post on disgust for voices and accents, I suggested tentatively that this topic had been missed both in the literature on disgust and the literature on sociolinguistics.
- Broadly construed, interactional sociolinguistics views ‘language as indexical to a social world.’
- Haeri relied on sociolinguistic interviews for data elicitation and adopted analytical techniques of the standard quantitative approach of urban sociolinguistics.
- I am taking a sociolinguistics class and wanted to write my paper on the subject of linguistic determinism and how it affects society.
- The book is decidedly a valuable contribution to Arabic sociolinguistics and to the theory of sociolinguistics in general.
- This paper combines perspectives from sociolinguistics, musicology, fashion and dance theory to propose a new analytical model that I call ‘corporealinguistics’.
- His publications are in the areas of sociolinguistics and linguistic media studies in German, English, and Greek.
- Not all scholars are agreed on the boundaries and relationship between linguistics and sociolinguistics.
- The researcher better serves his interests and those of sociolinguistics if he or she attempts to find a direct approach to studying the phenomena in question.
- Dickey applies the methods of modern sociolinguistics to her material.
- Recently sociolinguistics have been paying much attention to the appropriation of English across the globe.
- While she doesn't find that surprising, what continues to surprise me is how rarely composition experts have looked toward sociolinguistics to inform what is usually an interdisciplinary field of study.
- Her research has focused on language, culture and identity, sociolinguistics, discourse and interaction.
- It is characteristic of all work in sociolinguistics, however, that it focuses on English and other languages as they are used by ordinary people to communicate with one another and to develop and maintain social relationships.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.