In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine tierramasculine suelomasculine céspedmasculine tepefeminine champa Andesbeneath the sod — bajo (la) tierra
- Most Greenlandic homes are constructed of stone, sod, or wood.
- Next, he removed the sod and soil and added a thin layer of gravel.
- After removing the sod, till the area and break up the compacted soil.
- The green contours are also lay-of-the-land and the bunkers are hand-dug, some edged by tall layers of stacked sod, others by shaggy tufts of native grass.
- The seeds are also spread by way of composted manure, grass seed, sod, or hay, as well as by deer and other wildlife.
- Gravity, spatial distance, trees across the road and large rocks under the sod all tell me, in effect, that I cannot have what I want, or at least that I cannot have it without struggle or a lapse of time.
- Visitors were also invited to turn a sod of turf.
- I chunked my stuff on the sod and lay down next to it.
- The greens were constructed out of a topsoil mix and they used only four truckloads of sod to lay one strip around all greens and some of the bunkers.
- Remove existing lawn by slicing under the sod with a spade and cutting it into manageable pieces.
- They cut out the portion where the sod would grow and outlined the shape with bender-board.
- A dense sod of the drop-seed grass, Sporobolus flexuosus, characterizes this area.
- Start laying your sod along walkways, sidewalks and driveways near your house.
- If your lawn is bluegrass, if your lawn was started from sod, or if you use chemical fertilizer, you almost certainly have a thick build-up of thatch.
- If you choose to plant your crowns in your lawn, you'll have to remove the sod with a garden shovel.
- Even though it was still only late February some buds were already poking through the brown earth and the lawn looked as if it had just been laid from sod.
- In 1966, Luke used a silver spade to turn the first sod.
- Oliver Clery, turned the first sod for the project on Tuesday of this week.
- Look for 1,480 trees, 87,000 shrubs and sod to cover the equivalent of seven football fields.
- Removing the sod creates a recess in the soil, resulting in poor drainage.
- Without the seasonal harvesting, plowing and planting, a mature sod of grasses and clovers would cover the earth and enable the soil to hold moisture better.
- Rake and mow the lawn if it needs it, and be sure to check for cranefly larvae under the sod if you noticed large mosquito-looking critters randomly flying about last fall.
- Put plastic runners on both sides of the trench to avoid damage to your lawn, one runner for the sod and the other runner for the dirt.
- Then either seed, plant new plugs, or insert a fresh piece of sod cut to fit the damaged area.
- Make sure that the sod you are having installed contains varieties of grass that are indigenous to your region.
- The installation of the ProGrass playing surface begins with the removal of the natural grass and sod on the field.
- This isn't a problem when installing a new green, as the spores can be tilled into the soil prior to seeding or can be applied to the surface before rolling out carpet sod.
- They then patched the back of the green with sod from their on-site nursery.
- Such are the quality of modern day pitches like Hyde Park, a couple of rain-free hours could help turn a water-logged sod into a playable surface.
- You can make an instant lawn of buffalo grass using sod, or for a fraction of the cost and a couple months of establishment time, use seed.
- Despite the horrific rain of the previous two days the Timahoe sod provided a perfect surface which contributed to make this game so enjoyable.
- Painstaking effort goes into matching the seams between the strips of sod and the adjoining turf.
- Willie knows the techniques; how you balance the sod, break the sod and so on.
- For extreme cases you can line the yard with chicken wire and put a layer of sod over that.
- Heavy grazing the previous fall is essential to weaken and open up the sod when tillage or chemical control of the sod are not used.
- Remove dead patches along with 3 to 4 inches of soil underneath; fill the hole with a fresh piece of sod, as shown above, or overseed.
- Cut one or more lengths of sod, as needed, and lay it in place.
- The eggs are laid one or more inches below the soil surface in sod or patches of grassy weeds in cropland areas.
- Isabella felt like a chunk of sod when an earthworm burrows into it.
- Fans are trying to pull down the goal posts or tear a piece of history from the Ohio Stadium sod, and cops are shooting pepper spray at anything that moves.
1(cover with turf)cubrir de césped
- After construction was completed, we installed the remaining plants and sodded the lawn.
- We planted and sodded the lawn and installed an irrigation system throughout.
1(obnoxious person)cabrón masculine vulgar slangcabrona feminine vulgar slanghe's a selfish/stupid sod — es un egoísta/imbécil de mierda vulgar slang
2(fellow)I feel sorry for the poor sod — me da lástima el pobre tipo / el pobre diablo informal
- you lucky sod! — ¡qué suertudo eres!
3(sth difficult, unpleasant)joda feminine Latin America vulgar slangcoñazo masculine Spain vulgar slangthese windows are real sods to clean — estas ventanas son una joda para limpiar vulgar slang
1oh sod it! I forgot to go to the bank! — ¡mierda! / ¡carajo! ¡me olvidé de ir al banco!
- sod them/him! — ¡que se vayan/vaya a la mierda!
- sod this! — ¡a la mierda con esto!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.