In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Because soap is made primarily from a caustic blend of boiled animal fat, lye and soda, it is highly alkaline.
- To remove odours from vinyl seats and lining panels wash with a solution of bicarbonate soda and warm water.
- The children built a volcano using clay and used the chemical reaction between bread soda and vinegar to simulate the volcano.
- Bicarbonate of soda is a popular remedy for powdery mildew because it is a relatively safe substance and it is cheap to use.
- The scientific explanation for this phenomenon is that soda contains carbon dioxide gas.
- Other unpleasant odours, including the smell of stale cigarettes, can be eliminated by placing a container of dry bicarbonate soda in the car.
- Combine flour, bi-carbonate of soda, sugar and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- I then left the clothes in a bucket to soak overnight with washing soda.
- A fusion of sand, soda, and potash, its peculiarity resides in how these elements are not perceived but effaced.
- Pip uses bicarb soda mixed with dishwashing detergent for pots in the kitchen.
- Combine bi-carbonate of soda and water in a small bowl and add to the butter mixture and immediately pour all the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix together.
- The plant provides a wide range of products although its output is dominated by the bulk production of soda ash and smaller quantities of soda bicarbonate.
- For extra sore and aching feet add one tablespoon each of sea salt and bicarbonate soda and three to five drops of rosemary oil to the water.
- In this method, fats and oils were mixed in large, open kettles, and caustic soda was added.
- Washing soda is found in the laundry section of most supermarkets.
- To ease aching joints or stiff muscles as a result of sport or vigorous exercise, add half a cup of bicarbonate soda to a hot bath and enjoy a long, relaxing soak.
- A good natural fungicide can be made from whole milk, bicarb soda and canola oil.
- Bicarbonate of soda, the mild alkali which is added to some cakes and biscuits and peanut brittle, promotes browning.
- In a normal healthy person, he argued, uric acid is excreted in the urine; if that process be interrupted, deposition of uric acid occurs in the form of urate of soda.
- Bicarbonate of soda can also be used as a mild abrasive to clean baths, sinks, toilet bowls and tiles.
- Add nitrate of soda or ammonia sulfate for inorganic amendments.
- The clothes were deposited in the tub with soap flakes and soda, then swirled around by hand, using a wooden paddle, a long and hot process.
- And they put in potassium and they send in bicarbonate soda and anti-nausea medicine.
- Bi-carb soda and vinegar is great for general purpose cleaning, and it looks good when it's working - it bubbles.
1.1(soda water)soda feminineagua de seltzScotch and soda — whisky con soda / sifón
- We went to the beach, sunbathed, read books under straw parasols, ate olives and drank cheap red wine watered down with soda water.
- I didn't observe what Peter ate but I did notice he added soda water to his tea.
- In a bowl, combine flour and cornstarch; season with salt and pepper to taste and whisk in soda water until smooth.
- I noticed it fizzing in the glass and thought it must be soda water.
- Two vodkas with soda water later is my only transgression.
- The third method, to be avoided by any serious wine lover, is the injection of carbon dioxide into the wine immediately before bottling, as in soda water or Coca-Cola.
- Muddle the mint and the rest of the ingredients in the glass until the sugar has melted before topping up with crushed ice and a whoosh of soda water or sparkling mineral water.
- Last seen, Jerry was celebrating with soda water instead of his customary libation in a brown bottle.
- So if I'm going to taste soda water, I'd rather drink some that has some flavor to it.
- The basic mixers are cola, lemon-lime soda, tonic water, soda water, orange juice, cranberry juice, tomato juice, ginger ale and grapefruit juice.
- Tom Valdes has always enjoyed a Rum Collins, made with lemon juice and soda water.
- Put 3-4 peppermint teabags in a glass of soda water on a sunny window sill.
- Chris offered Avril some wine, but she preferred some soda water.
- The alcohol content can be tamed by using non-alcoholic Triple Sec or orange-flavored soda water.
- Amy reached into her lunch bag and took out a bottle of soda water.
- I washed that down with soda water and indulged in a slice of wholegrain bread with a thin slice of cheese and a smidgeon of honey and munched mournfully on an apple.
- I walked to the bar where they had cleared all the alcohol and were selling water and sodas.
- The girl's drinks were always tea or soda water.
- In his dissertation, he presented theory and experiments on the osmotic pressure of concentrated solutions of carbon dioxide in various solvents - just generalized soda water.
- To get rid of red wine stains on furnishings and carpets don't apply salt - use carbonated soda water instead.
1.2(US) (flavored)refresco masculinefresco masculine Latin Americaorange soda — naranjada
- They were brought up on sweet beverages and soda, and on caffeine.
- On the fluid side, you're competing against sodas, fruit drinks and energy drinks.
- My diet shifted from foods high in sugar and fat, such as cheesecake, ice cream and soda, to foods rich in lean protein, such as chicken and fish.
- The combination of salt on the fries and a litre of sweet cold soda - not the Diet kind - can be relied upon to get me back on my feet and ready to take on the world quickly and without unpleasant side effects.
- James is happy to drink water instead of squash but refuses to drink low sugar sodas or squashes.
- The rest of the day was spent consuming massive amounts of diet soda and rediscovering the fact that too much caffeine made her twitchy and a little off kilter.
- That's the sugar you'd get in three to five 12-ounce cans of soda.
- Every diet gone bad has its usual suspects - soda, sweets, French fries, et cetera.
- My laughing and petty revenge seemed to have made that soda sweeter.
- Laid out on the table were bottles of alcohol, sodas, Cokes and crisps.
- Today, the average American consumes over 220 L of soda per year, and one teenager in seven is overweight.
- Mr. Shongut reached into his fridge and pulled out a sweet, ice cold soda.
- But pretty soon all he can think about is those extra hundred sodas he could be drinking.
- The consumption of canned soda is naturally high in schools without drinking fountains.
- He quit drinking his five sodas per day, started eating scheduled meals and avoided fat.
- Valtin says people can obtain water from many beverages and foods, from sodas to fruits.
- It takes him a can of soda, preferably Coke, for him to be fully awake at this time of day.
- This has everything I am looking for in a soda: Grapefruit, natural ingredients, the colour pink and a mild fizz.
- Simple sugars, like those found in sweetened juices, sodas and fruit cups cause a spike in blood sugar.
- So if you drink three sodas a day, for instance, try cutting back to two.
1.3(US) (ice-cream soda)ice-cream soda masculine Latin America
refresco con helado
2Chemistrysoda femininesosa feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.