In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Place throw blankets casually over chairs and sofas for your loved ones to cuddle up in.
- There are nooks and crannies to hide in, long sofas to stretch out on, and high or low chairs to choose from.
- The children sat back on their armchairs and sofas and settled back to their thinking.
- With wooden flooring and large comfortable sofas, it offers a modern atmosphere but with a cosy, homely feel.
- Come daylight, I decided to try the first class bar with its rows of squishy green velveteen sofas and tatty carpet.
- Don't choose sofas and chairs at the end of a long shopping trip - anything will feel comfortable!
- Sometimes I like an armchair, but with a sofa you can be really lazy and sprawl all over it.
- It's a lovely, beamed, cosy room with two giant sofas, an antique coffee table and a large television.
- Visitors can sit on the old chairs and sofas, pick up the books from the shelves and play the old board games.
- The sofas were white with green stripes running vertically downward.
- There were two sofas, and three armchairs scattered around a glass coffee table.
- This room is of a generous size and there is plenty of space for sofas, chairs and a dining table.
- As the wind howled in the chimney, we sat on a sofa in front of a roaring fireplace.
- With its riverside setting and comfy leather sofas to sink into, the atmosphere is sophisticated yet relaxed.
- The walls were a deep white with a cream carpet that matched the sofa and two chairs.
- A spacious wooden desk was placed at one end of the room, and sofas and chairs at the other.
- The main room has eight walls, which are lined with dark sofas, between the doorways, blending into the walls.
- Move furniture such as beds, sofas and chairs away from windows to prevent children climbing up and falling out.
- In ancient times, people who were free reclined on sofas while they ate.
- Upstairs there is a function room with large sofas and a big screen TV as well.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.