In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1de voz suave
- A soft-spoken voice echoed behind me while I was still trying to figure out why Joe was giving me that glare.
- He has created a soft-spoken and gentle Barrie who is the boy who never grew up, yet never seems grotesque.
- Ganguli comes across as a gentle, soft-spoken person with a brilliant smile.
- He is soft-spoken, has a gentle sense of humour, speaks well and clearly and thoughtfully.
- The soft-spoken musician said he was also practising hard with his musician friends in Kabwe just to keep in shape musically.
- On second thought, Allison and Heuer are gentle, soft-spoken people, not given to such language.
- His soft-spoken voice is in harmony with his words, which are as much about feeling as reasoning.
- Calgarians have embraced the soft-spoken Ronnie as their own by tracking him down to hear him play his rootsy tunes around town.
- I quickly settled in with my gentle, smiling, soft-spoken family.
- He is a large man with a thick black beard and the quiet, soft-spoken manner of someone who has spent much of his life reading.
- She was quite shy with strange people, quiet and soft-spoken.
- Always sporting a white shirt and jeans, with gray hair, he is soft-spoken, rather shy and very well-mannered.
- A soft-spoken voice is heard on the overhead speakers, reciting some poetic text.
- A first look reveals a shy, soft-spoken personality who can only speak Tamil and a little bit broken Hindi and English.
- People who know the soft-spoken 24-year-old say his modesty stems from his childhood.
- Physically tiny, soft-spoken and apparently modest, the priest displayed an extraordinary physical and moral courage.
- He stands apart in today's world of high competition and conflict, with his soft-spoken and unassuming nature.
- However, he markedly improves in his soft-spoken soliloquies, as he brings a genuine depth of feeling in conveying his domestic torpor.
- He was an incredibly soft-spoken person who radiated power in a gentle way.
- As Katrina, she is soft-spoken and gentle, a romantic young woman waiting for a suitable suitor.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.