In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Until that day, solar astronomers will continue to watch the sun with trepidation, never knowing what might erupt next.
- Mars has only the tiniest trace of a magnetic field, nothing like the huge bubble that surrounds the earth and protects us from solar and cosmic radiation.
- Collisions between energetic particles and the solar atmosphere also produce neutrons and gamma rays.
- The encounter also shortened the comet's solar orbit time from about 40 years to less than seven.
- Space is a hostile environment due to solar radiation, particle impacts and the intense cold of deep space.
- Specific problems which Lexell studied in astronomy were his calculation of the solar parallax and his calculation of the orbits of several comets.
- Large solar disturbances heat Earth's upper atmosphere, causing it to expand.
- By then solar science was thriving and astronomers began keeping daily logs of the number of spots on the Sun.
- At the Earth's surface, the atmosphere acts as an extra blanket to stop all but the most energetic of the solar and galactic radiation.
- As they move around as the Sun spins, sunspots near the solar equator return to their starting point in about twenty-five days.
- The bright star Sirius appeared again in the predawn sky, having been lost in the solar glare for a couple of months.
- Meteorites represent a fossil record of the early conditions of the solar nebula.
- For the professional astronomers, the main subject of inquiry was the solar corona.
- Algol comprises two large stars, one about three times the solar diameter, the other four times.
- A large solar particle event can produce enough radiation to kill an unprotected astronaut.
- These plasma flows transport, concentrate, and help spread out solar magnetic fields.
- Early theories about sunspots were many and various including that sunspots were clouds or sunspots were solar asteroids.
- Some asteroids orbit at a solar distance where their year is matched to Jupiter's year.
- Most of the spots that did appear were located near the solar equator and scarcely lasted for more than one rotation of the Sun.
- Sunspots and solar storms tend to occur in 11-year cycles; the current cycle peaked in late 2000.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.