In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The mixture is left to solidify and once coagulated is scored with a knife and left overnight.
- Ocean ridges are linear features on the ocean floor where molten magma originating in the earth's mantle rises and solidifies to form new ocean crust.
- Quickly it solidified into crystals of ice, and in only a few moments the surface of the cloak was covered with a sheen of glimmering ice.
- Conventional computer chips comprise a thin slice of silicon, which is made by cooling pure, molten silicon in such a way that, as the fiery drop solidifies, a crystal ‘grows’ in a certain direction.
- The mold must be preheated with a blowtorch to keep the silver from solidifying before it fills the whole cavity.
- Hydrogenated fat is vegetable oil that has been chemically altered so that it becomes harder, more saturated and solidifies at room temperature.
- Apparently, thousands of kitchen sinks are clogged every Christmas when turkey fat is tipped down the sink, then solidifies in the U-bend.
- Dolerite is basaltic magma that solidifies rapidly in sills and dikes near the surface.
- In some instances, stationary magmas solidify in situ.
- She was trapped in mud debris from an erupting volcano that had solidified like concrete around her legs and up to her chest, preventing her from being pulled out.
- Recent research suggests that this gas can later solidify into a blob.
- Slowly the molten rock solidified, and fissures appeared, while the water was still hot and fluid.
- First, they have to be frozen at a carefully controlled rate, so that any water content moves to the outside of the tissues before solidifying into ice and expanding.
- Around three to five minutes later, the soya-bean milk solidifies and turns into Bean Jelly.
- When the metal solidifies, the urali is retrieved after breaking the mould.
- It rose them to the surface and solidified into a deep-blue crystal that evened itself with the rest of the floor.
- They also contain ingredients that make them stay in the stomach longer, it solidifies and makes it harder for the milk to digest.
- Inevitably, where molten rock met the bitter cold of space, heat was lost rapidly, allowing the outermost levels of the magma ocean to solidify to a thin crust.
- When the temperature drops (due to cold weather or when the body is at rest), the capsules solidify and release the stored heat.
- Texture holds together under scorching conditions and partially solidifies in extreme cold.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.