In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Unlike other Muslims, Somalis believe that both their religious and secular leaders have the power to bless and to curse people.
- The measure affected Afghans, Somalis and Chechens facing return to regions beset by civil wars or with no functioning government.
- This synthesis of spiritual worldviews is not unique to Hausa Islam, but is found in most other Afro-Islamic communities, such as those of the Somali, the Swahili, and the Bambara.
- The Somalis come in to browse for news of their country.
- There are two major ethnic groups in Djibouti, the Afars (sometimes also called the Danakil) and the Somalis.
- However, Somalis are not as traditionally religious as Muslims in many other cultures.
- Some 40 percent of the striking workers are comprised of immigrant groups as various as Somalis, Tibetans and workers from the Balkans.
- In June 1976, the territory's citizenship law, which favored the Afar minority, was revised to reflect more closely the weight of the Issa Somali.
- Readers learn something about Somalis and Muslims and about the quiet, often-unseen battles being waged each day over culture and tradition.
- The decision means that thousands of migrants, among them Zimbabweans, Iraqis, and Somalis who were given the right to live temporarily in Britain, could now be sent back home.
- The largest single group of students are Chinese, followed by Afghans, Russians and Somalis.
- In a metropolis which is 60 percent white, Somalis are not only African but Muslim as well, making them targets of racism and prejudice manifested in housing discrimination, hate crimes and police brutality.
- There are photographs of Iraqis, Kurds, Somalis and refugees from the former Soviet Union.
- Afar have a traditional preference for patrilateral cross-cousin marriage; the Issa and other Somalis are less strict.
- It was part of a nationwide crackdown on the centers that Somalis use to send money home to family members.
- In Southall campaigners toured local estates with a loudspeaker car, with speakers in Punjabi and Somali as well as English.
- The desert-dwelling peoples of the Southeast speak dialects of Somali.
- It is home to people of different national origins whose first languages include Somali, Hindi, Urdu and Bengali.
- Speakers of African language Lingala, Persian language Farsi, Lithuanian and Somali are among those needed.
- All Somalis speak Somali, the official language.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.