In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine volteretafeminine vuelta (de) carnero Southern Conemasculine mortalmasculine salto mortalfeminine vuelta de campanato perform/execute a somersault — realizar/ejecutar un mortal
- to turn somersaults — dar vueltas (de) carnero
- He was awarded 9.80 points for his vault - a handspring somersault with forward salto.
- Now a pirouette has been added to Korbut's loop and several young ladies do a backward somersault on the beam twice in a row.
- With practice, the momentum created by the dolphin kick and hand movement initiating your somersault should allow you to land aggressively at the wall.
- Gymnasts start early and children as young as two use soft apparatus to learn their first somersault and handspring, under the watchful eyes of more than 20 qualified coaches.
- Level Three were the most difficult containing moves such as back flips, somersaults and full cartwheels.
- I did a neat backward somersault and landed in the river in a welter of blue and silver, unpleasantly aware I could not swim.
- I remember the fans gasping at Lyukin's triple somersault in the floor exercises for the Moscow News prize.
- I did a somersault and landed gracefully on my feet.
- Finally he came down in a somersault and landed on one knee.
- My intention was this: to do a round-off on to a trampette then tuck backwards into a somersault and land on my feet.
- I dove to my left again, and this time rolled into a somersault that landed me in a thicket of mountain laurel at the base of the ridge.
- She still has ambitious goals: reading, backward somersaults, swimming, tying shoes.
- We have now rejuvenated the program in the floor exercises, long horse and in the rings, introducing new complex somersaults and pirouettes.
- His heart turned a somersault at her use of his given name.
- Eventually they may learn to do a somersault in the water by adapting their land movements to the water, but that doesn't mean they are doing it as efficiently as an aquatic creature would do it.
- Once he bungled a somersault, but managed such a smooth entry into the next exercise that the spectators never suspected that anything was amiss.
- He launched himself off the roof, performed a double somersault and landed on his feet unharmed.
- Every minute of the training session is planned: she does warming up exercises slowly and thoroughly, does her pull ups on the wall bars, then to the trampoline for a few light and graceful leaps and somersaults.
- Chen, who is now playing elder sister to many of her younger classmates, has already accustomed herself to the endless backward somersaults, handstands and horse vaults.
- I believe you can gyrate on the somersault, get your feet down as best as you can, and push off and go very fast off the wall.
1hacer volteretasdar vueltas (de) carnero Southern Conedar un (salto) mortalshe somersaulted across the room — cruzó la habitación haciendo volteretas
- the car somersaulted over the edge of the cliff — el coche se despeñó por el acantilado dando vueltas en el aire
- The only injuries this time are some pulled muscles in the back of my neck from somersaulting down the hill.
- He saw the deer hurled into the air, its willowy body limply somersaulting like a stuffed toy.
- The new fence is designed so that the top rail drops to one side when hit by a horse, saving the animal and rider from somersaulting.
- The driver and his three passengers were injured after the car went out of control and somersaulted into a farmer's field.
- With three points in it, Glasgow went on the attack, Henry somersaulting over a tackle to secure the result and the bonus point.
- When she wouldn't stop somersaulting and cartwheeling in the front room we decided to take her dancing.
- Car parts were strewn and blood spattered on Solomon Hochoy Highway on Monday, as two cars collided and somersaulted, killing one man and injuring six people.
- Our keep-fit sessions were such fun - we hopped on one leg, somersaulted, balanced and scissored and although you loved to show off your skills, you loved me joining in.
- Tony jumped past me, somersaulting onstage, and straightening up with a flower between his teeth.
- A resident in Meggeson Avenue said: ‘I think the car knocked down a lamppost and somersaulted quite a few times.’
- Yet the product that emerged, as the Russians soared and twisted and somersaulted, was one of grace and elegance and hard-to-imagine body control.
- Our neighbor - a kind man, really - gritted his teeth and looked the other way as they somersaulted and tumbled on its velvety surface.
- Moving at a speed higher than most people comprehend, Dice rolled to the left to avoid the first bullet then somersaulted back onto the boot of the car.
- Eye-witnesses reported seeing the car somersaulting.
- While to the ordinary eye the witch is indistinguishable from those around her, to the priest she appears to be somersaulting through the air and turning cartwheels.
- It is understood that the teenager was a front seat passenger in the car which careered off the narrow road and somersaulted before crashing into trees.
- The car struck a row of trees before somersaulting on to its roof and returning spinning to the road.
- But that did not keep her from somersaulting to the top in the Soviet world of gymnastics.
- In 1990 he became a prizewinner, at the Mondial du Cirque du Demain in Paris, with a performance including dancing and somersaulting on the Tight Wire.
- For on 7 March, 1973, Kathy, who lived on Bury Road with her family, was lucky to escape with her life when her sports car skidded and somersaulted on a motorway approach road.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.