In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tordo músico masculinezorzal masculine
- These include such species as black grouse and curlew, which are associated with upland areas, as well as the song thrush, spotted flycatcher and linnet.
- According to the massive Birds of the Western Palearctic the song thrush possesses the largest repertoire of any European thrush.
- The four biggest losers since the first Big Garden Birdwatch in 1979 have been the starling, house sparrow, song thrush and blackbird.
- Best known in Britain and W. Europe are the beloved song thrush, T. philomelos, and the mistle thrush, T. viscivorus.
- Birds suffering the steepest falls include the blackbird, dunnock, song thrush, and four types of warbler.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.