In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1hollín masculinecovered in soot — cubierto de hollín
- Diesel particulate matter consists of soot mixed with anything from volatile organic compounds to sulphur and nitrous oxides.
- Black was carbon, obtained from soot or charcoal, which had to be mixed with size to make it compatible with the fresco technique.
- It is made from pollution and particles from cars, industry, and ash and soot from the burning of forests and from the wood used for cooking.
- Very low particulate, soot, and volatile organic emissions are released when it is burned.
- If the wine smelt of soot, hot tarmac or burnt rubber, you knew it was a South African.
- The gas supply to my apartment block has been cut off, and the tap water is black with soot and dirt, but otherwise everything is normal.
- None of these vessels was apparently used over fire, as they lack soot marks and charred organic remains.
- It is caused by tiny airborne particles of soot, ash and sulphur dioxide reflecting back the heat of the sun.
- The petroleum soot is not formed by solid-phase charring of fuel but is produced by recombination and coagulation of aromatic molecules in the gas phase.
- Particulate matter, or soot, is produced by coal-fired power plants and diesel engines.
- Besides diamonds, other forms of carbon found in nature include charcoal, coal, and soot.
- Because it is a lot cheaper to reduce soot emissions than to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
- Most candles contain paraffin, a petroleum-based wax that produces black soot when burned.
- We were constantly faced with black soot falling on the grass, on our houses.
- The residue of soot and ashes left from the fireplace is apparent on the surface.
- The major pollutant in the area is particulates - tiny particles of dust or soot which get lodged in people's lungs and can damage health.
- Their hairs are a bit singed and their faces are black from soot.
- What impact, if any, does soot and black carbon from fires have on the glaciers of Kilimanjaro?
- The ring had black soot on it, but one thing was clear, and that was a glistening amethyst crystal in the center.
- But equipment operators still face the problems of determining what is behind the layer of black char and soot on the stem.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.