In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Embryos treated with 6% sorbitol + 3% sucrose showed little or no variation in size.
- The polyol pathway uses the enzyme aldose reductase to convert glucose to sorbitol.
- The reduction of single-channel conductance was found only when sorbitol and glucose were applied.
- Leaves were excised, placed in sucrose or sorbitol (osmotic control) and the expression of all three clones was monitored.
- Mixtures containing sorbitol, glucose, fructose, sucrose, and maltose were used as standards every fifth sample.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.